Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Super Moderator
14,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m leaving with some of my GWRRA group on Friday for a week in Maggie Valley. Most of them have been there before so they know the area. I’ve been looking at the map and think that a loop up through Hot Springs, NC and into Tennessee would be a good ride. Also I hope to convince them to ride down to South Carolina and see the Cowpens National Battlefield via US 276 and the Cherokee Foothills Scenic Hwy. Any other good rides in the area.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Since you are in the area, you might want to consider riding the Tail of the Dragon and the Cherohalla Skyway. This could be done on your way to or from Maggie Valley or as a side trip. I plan to do the Cherokee Foothills Scenic Hwy and Cowpens myself one day. If you do them, post your thoughts on them.

·
Super Moderator
14,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I rode the Dragon last year and this group may want to do so. Never tried the Cherohala Skyway, I will try to get the group to head that way.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Watch your speed in town the local cop likes to right tickets. Great place to go just be carefull about your speed.

·
Super Moderator
14,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What a great trip! Eight days, six bikes, ten people, 2100 miles. Stayed in Maggie Valley and toured the area. Started Sunday at the Wheels Through Time motorcycle museum, which I highly recommend. A great collection of old motorcycles, many of which are one of a kind. That afternoon Jim wanted us to follow him into the Smoky Mountains National Park. We started up a country road which promptly turned to gravel switchbacks. Jim assured me that it became pavement in the park and we should be able to go out that way. After going over the gap into the park and down into the Catahoochee Valley we found out that there was another way out, but it was thirty miles of gravel instead of the ten or so we just rode to get in there. All ended well and it was a good start. On Monday we rode the Cherohala Skyway with a stop at Bald River Falls. Tuesday we rode up Hwy 209 to Hot Springs, NC a great twisty rode with hardly any traffic. Had lunch and then headed over to Greenville, TN and down to I-40 and back to Maggie Valley. Wednesday we rode down to Chesnee, SC to visit Cowpens National Battlefield from the Revolutionary War. The ride down Hwy 276 was another great twisty road especially down to Hwy 11 from Caesars Head State Park. Thursday we took a break and just stayed around town. Friday we rode out Hwy 215 south to the Blue Ridge Parkway and then west to Cherokee. Saturday we started back and when the couples stopped for the night to give the wives a break Jim and I dodged thunderstorms (unsuccessfully) the rest of the way home. The only way it could have been better is if my wife had been able to get off work last week.

·
Super Moderator
28,447 Posts
Sounds like a great trip Mark. Thanks for sharing & welcome back.

·
Registered
16 Posts
After entering the Dragon's tail from the Carolina side and into the Tennessee side you will ride for miles and then discover they have it barricaded off and you have to turn around and come back over the same curves, but that's 0kay. Watch out for the two state trooper cars and their radar though. They have improved the Dragon by adding little "5 foot pull over strips" in most of the curves and it allows you, if you desire, to pull over and let the crazy crotch rocket riders go by. Better bring your rain suits.

·
Super Moderator
14,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
A landslide on the Tennessee side closed the road. Thus the in and out from the NC side. There are always police along the TN side. Even so there are still plenty of bikes that go too fast and end up crashing.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts