Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I up and did it. Got rid of the +4 Shield and installed the Madstad 14. Still got the +4, not sure if I'm going to sell it or just keep it. I took a short 150-mile round trip yesterday on a very windy day. I am quite impressed. I was getting some air on my face from the side, but the wind was sustained at 30 mph from the west and I was traveling north and south. Zero buffeting which surprised me as I was looking over it. Also went through about 5 miles of moderate rain. Very pleased with the way it handled rain. Because of the way it funnels wind between the two halves it kept the shield relatively clear of many raindrops. I didn't, but I believe I could have raised it up and looked through it with an almost raindrop free view. Had my face shield down and I believe it didn't have as many raindrops on it as with the +4 shield. All in all, I believe I am going to love the Madstad a lot. Time will tell.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Here is my question for you.................. I live in Texas.......... the heat ,the heat, the heat.... with out the vent, how do think the air flow would be to loose the heat?

·
Premium Member
2,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have had 3 vented windshields on two different Goldwings and all I ever felt from them in the summer was hot air and they leak so bad in the rain you've got as much rain on the inside as the outside. I am not a fan of vented shields.

As for Texas weather, we spent 3 1/2 years in the Rio Grand Valley. We left 2 years ago so I know how hot it can get any time of year. 113* in February one year. The Madstad might not be for you, but I can already tell it's better than any vented windshield I ever owned.

That's also why I'm a big fan of the Baker Wings. I get all the air I need from them.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
keep us informed.........
I am going to have to replace my windshield soon I am afraid.... it is like a layer is delaminating or something... or a coating is coming off.......... have used a polish I use on my wife's Camry headlights to remove the most of it.

On the Rio Grande Valley thing.......... I have an Aunt an Uncle that have lived in McAllen for45-50 years

·
Premium Member
2,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We were down there for my wife's job as an RN. We were living in our RV and owning our home here in Missouri. We stayed in one RV park in Mission, right on the Rio Grand River. The Border Patrol launched their boats out of the park. We could see Mexico out our living room window. Before we ended up in Edinburg for 3 1/2 years she worked in Weslaco for 2 different 3 month assignments. She was a travel nurse then.

We also had a couple of assignments in Del Rio so we know Texas heat very well on a bike.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
yep.......... the riding season is backwards here.......... ride all winter..... park it in the summer

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Really glad to read of another Madstad windshield user. I ordered one a while back and expect it soon. Not that I can try it soon...

·
Premium Member
2,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Really glad to read of another Madstad windshield user. I ordered one a while back and expect it soon. Not that I can try it soon...
We got ours in record time I thought. Ordered on The 19th and received it on the 27th. We had heard there was a 3 week wait time so I was shocked when FedEx delivered it the other day.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I also got the Madstad 14 inch. Arrived 2 days ago. Installation was pretty easy. I took my time and cleaned everything out, put new strip of velcro tape on the upper edge against the dash, just to make it tighter. Was careful on the two side nuts, as to not drop them. Then took it out on the interstate to test different positions. After stopping several times, I believe I have it dialed in pretty good. I have almost not helmet buffeting. Very smooth ride.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Yesterday's warm and calm day gave us a chance to test the Madstad 2-up with relatively calm wind. I think we have a winner. There was no wind noise coming over the intercom, and Liana commented that she wasn't getting any real wind hitting her helmet. It was super 'buggy' out yesterday as well, and I don't think I got a single one hitting me in the face even though I have the upper shield sitting down around my chin/mouth height. I have mine on the 3rd (I think) position on the stock adjuster and have it maxed out on the Madstad height adjustment. I think I'll have to raise the lower shield/mount another notch on the stock adjuster and try it again at nose height. All in all, I do think this is going to work well for us.

·
Premium Member
2,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yesterday's warm and calm day gave us a chance to test the Madstad 2-up with relatively calm wind. I think we have a winner. There was no wind noise coming over the intercom, and Liana commented that she wasn't getting any real wind hitting her helmet. It was super 'buggy' out yesterday as well, and I don't think I got a single one hitting me in the face even though I have the upper shield sitting down around my chin/mouth height. I have mine on the 3rd (I think) position on the stock adjuster and have it maxed out on the Madstad height adjustment. I think I'll have to raise the lower shield/mount another notch on the stock adjuster and try it again at nose height. All in all, I do think this is going to work well for us.
Are you getting wind coming around the sides of your shield? While I love ours as to the no buffeting side of things and being able to look over it, I'm getting a little more wind on my eyes coming from somewhere on the sides. I have held my hand in several places and can't figure where it is coming from.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Are you getting wind coming around the sides of your shield? While I love ours as to the no buffeting side of things and being able to look over it, I'm getting a little more wind on my eyes coming from somewhere on the sides. I have held my hand in several places and can't figure where it is coming from.
I ride with a full face with the shield always open and I feel a little breeze, but not what I'd call wind. I'm not sure I could say it's from the side or below. I'll try and pay more attention to that next time I'm out.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I want to give a shout out to @edmKC - what a great guy Kerry is! I rode out to his place today and he let me borrow his 14" MadStad to try out to see if it worked better for me than my 12". It did work better but is up pretty high - the top of the windshield is at eye level and I would like it below, more like mouth/chin level. I think I get tweak my 12" adjustments to get it to work now. Glad that I had the opportunity to try the 14" to see what it was like. Many thanks, Kerry! You are a testament to the good folks here on the GWOF.

·
Premium Member
2,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I ride with a full face with the shield always open and I feel a little breeze, but not what I'd call wind. I'm not sure I could say it's from the side or below. I'll try and pay more attention to that next time I'm out.
I used a modular helmet for a long time, but have had to go back to a half helmet because of severe neck problems because of weight of bigger helmets. Being on a full trike I don't feel it's an issue like on 2 wheels. I just didn't notice the air on the side of my face with my f4 shield. I really like the Madstad, but may have to reconsider if I can't figure this out.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Good to meet you too Neil. I do hope you get your windscreen tuned in right for you.

I used a modular helmet for a long time, but have had to go back to a half helmet because of severe neck problems because of weight of bigger helmets. Being on a full trike I don't feel it's an issue like on 2 wheels. I just didn't notice the air on the side of my face with my f4 shield. I really like the Madstad, but may have to reconsider if I can't figure this out.
I hope you can get yours tuned in as well. Windscreens are just too darned expensive to keep trying different ones. This is my 4th on this bike!

When Neil was over he mentioned hearing that there can be turbulence arising from under the little 'wings' on the sides of the base plate. Maybe you could temporarily cover that area with duct tape or something and see if there's any difference? That's assuming you have the base high enough that the winds are above the rubber fillers.

·
Premium Member
2,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Good to meet you too Neil. I do hope you get your windscreen tuned in right for you.

I hope you can get yours tuned in as well. Windscreens are just too darned expensive to keep trying different ones. This is my 4th on this bike!

When Neil was over he mentioned hearing that there can be turbulence arising from under the little 'wings' on the sides of the base plate. Maybe you could temporarily cover that area with duct tape or something and see if there's any difference? That's assuming you have the base high enough that the winds are above the rubber fillers.
I've thought about that and trying some other too. I really hope I can figure it out cause I really like looking over the shield with absolutely zero buffeting. It's got to be fixable as I never had this problem with the wider f4.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts