Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at building a lite trailer for my '85 GL1200. Just a thought but has anyone looked at installing a surge brake system with disc brakes. I see lot's of new after market small disc brakes that can easily fit the hubs and axels. The added safety of surge brakes can enhance stopping distance.
Looking for feed back on the subject.
Many thanks

Bob C

·
Premium Member
17,147 Posts
I'm not all that sure of just how Surge brakes work, but I would assume if you roll off the throttle and the bike slows down the brakes are applied. If that is the case what would the impact be if you we in a curve at speed and had to roll off the throttle for safety reason. If the brakes on the trailer are applied would there be a tug on the hitch as the trailer tries to slow down and would that try to straighten the bike out. That would concern me. Anybody know the answer ?
From the Northwest Corner
Ron

·
Registered
59 Posts
I pull a Dart trailer with my 05 and had it pretty loaded and didn't feel like I needed trailer brakes. Is the proformance of the brakes that much different on an 85?? How much are you planning on pulling? Just the thought of a trailer influencing the back of the bike make me worry. I pulled a boat with the surge brake set up on the tongue and sometimes it would play tug a war with the truck.

·
Premium Member
408 Posts
You can always install electric brakes, they have them on trailers. With electric brakes you could adjust the braking.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Surge brakes come on when there is a quick de acceleration of the tow vehicle. Usually when the brakes are applied. The traile weight is shifted forward on the ball. A rolling slide lever or a forward slide depending on the model pushes back on a master cylinder which in turn pushes the brake fluid to the disc or drums dependng on the set up.

The surge brakes I have on my boat trailer are adjustable for brake intensity just like you can adjust electric brakes.

To answer the second question I hope the trailer I build out of aluminium with axels ,wheels , and either car topper or simular box configuration 200 lbs. Then maybe a 50-75 load of stuff. Most of it the wifes luggage. I would only haul the trailer on long two- four week trips. Anything less are a couple over night type trips, we can manage with the saddle bags and trunk.

·
Premium Member
17,147 Posts
I pulled our Kwik Kamp trailer probably at least 30,000 miles with out trailer brakes, never really felt the need for them. With that light of a trailer I wouldn't worry about brakes on it. Like I said earlier, I would be real concerned about the trailer tugging on the back of the bike.
From the Northwest Corner
Ron

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
I've had two trailers (one a Solaris and the other a Tiny-Mite, both tent trailers) and never felt the need for braking on either one and had more than one occasion to do a 'panic' stop due to wild-life or stupid cagers. Never a problem. If the surge brakes are adjustable, I can't see what problems would come up.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts