Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had any experience with the m/c lift from Sears? Want to get one if it works ok. Thanks, Ride often and Ride Safe. Gary

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
these seem to be popular, I had one. They are also popular on craigslist for $75 around here.

Hadn't tried it on a wing but it was "SCARY" on my 1100 shadow. In fairness, it has a bend in the frame and had to put a thick shim to balance.

It does work.
Maybe others here have a different opinion.

what i did not like:

can't strap as you lift. straps are placed after it's up.
It has rubber pads and it gives you a false sense of it sticking in place with the straps pulling it down.

I had my 600 lb bike up on it and secured with 4 straps. Decided I wanted to turn it around for better lighting and carefully began to steer it around in the garage. I was slow and careful. The floor was smooth and assumed the bike was tightened down withe the straps to move. About half way , I nearly lost the back side of the bike off the lift. the far side, front tire caught the bench but I couldn't feel it, the lift kept turning but I realized the bike wasn't. It nearly slid off. I was holding the bike trying to decide whether to run and let it fall or hang on. Couldn't stop to look underneath to see how bad it was. And best of all, I still had complete the turn. I hung on and eventually slid it back onto the lift. Actually, it slid pretty easily on the rubber pads when I put my foot against the lift to keep it from rolling.

It went on craigslist next day.

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
I'm not a real fan of Sears anymore. their warranty isn't worth the paper it's written on, and the service from their outlets is worse, at least up here anyway. I have a buddy that has a lift for his HD dresser, and I don't think it's a Sears unit, I'll ask him what it is and let everyone know.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have a Harbor Freight lift, and for the dollar it is OK. Not overly stable though. Saw another post about these lifts on another board and they look pretty good; however, much more pricey than Sears or Harbor Freight.

http://jsjacks.com/

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the harbor lift looks just like the sears model. do they need any additional brackets to line up with the frame?

·
Super Moderator
9,855 Posts
If have one from Sears and it seems to work fine. I'm not a big fan of putting a 900 bike on a lift but there are times when it's necessary. Make sure you have it tied down when working on it just to be sure. For the price it's as good as others on the market until you get to ones like the pitbull or a hydrallic table..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts