Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My plan for Alaska is to hotel AND tent. Tenting means; tent, two sleeping bags and two sleeping pads at a minimum. Even with my super lite super compact backpacking equipment I don't think I can manage all that in the trunk. So, some type of luggage rack (no trailers) is gonna be needed. On reading the forum it sounds like the current mounting of luggage racks sometimes causes cracks in the trunk.
Has anyone came up with a better mousetrap on luggage racks? Better mounting, mounting to something otherthan the lid, reinforcing the lid, etc?

·
Super Moderator
9,855 Posts
Some guys have installed "packit" racks on the back of the bike. I think Fossil92 had one on his for his cross country trip. He may even have some pics posted. You can carry a lot more without worring about cracking the trunk.

·
Super Moderator
28,448 Posts

·
Super Moderator
28,448 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Fossil,
How much weight apprx did you carry on the rack and did you notice a handling change at all?
M

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just a couple of general thoughts. If you make 2 padded flat bars that go between (and extends a little beyond the rack mount points) and the trunk, you will reduce the load bearing forces at each of the rack mounting points, and also reduce the localised flexing that causes cracking.
Probably the most important thing to remember is that cracking is caused by the sudden extra weight applied to the mount-points - usually by bumps in the road. The effects of this sudden force can be minimumised if there is no air space, or easily compressed cargo, inside your trunk between the underside of the mount points and the bottom of your trunk. That way, if your trunk lid can't flex down, it again spreads the sudden pressure of bumps.
Please remember though, that although the bike specs allow a safety margin when stating the weight limit for your trunk, you are effectively adding the weight of the rack and it's cargo to the trunk, as well as any additional downforce created by wind drag.

·
Super Moderator
28,448 Posts
M,

The load rating is 35 lbs. We had the bag loaded with clothes & some small items, got it all packed (3 sets of clothes for each of us, toiletries, extra shoes, & misc.) took it to the bathroom scale & it weighed 28 lbs on the rack. It worked great for 29 Days & 9000+ miles. Not 1 issue.The best part is when you get to Hotel at night you just pull the Hitch pins & carry it in to your room luggage & rack in one.

As far as the extra weight. I didn't even know it was there.

Just a couple of general thoughts. If you make 2 padded flat bars that go between (and extends a little beyond the rack mount points) and the trunk, you will reduce the load bearing forces at each of the rack mounting points, and also reduce the localised flexing that causes cracking.
I would not even put the time into making mods. It worked great & if you need to carry more than what I had then you should get a trailer.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi Johnno, I originally was thinking along that general line as well. Basically, flat bar stock contoured to the lid with a rubber type gasket. I'm amazed that the manufacturers haven't done that yet! But, the hitch concept solves the issue much better. Load is low, more load, removable, keep the stock look, etc.
Fossil, that weight is more than enough. My tent is 2.5, sleeping bags are 2.8 each and pads are 1.2 each. It looks like I'll be able to add some luxury and take a stove for some cocoa/coffee :)
My first 'long' multi-day trip is this November. Basically, a loop from S-Cal to San Francisco to Tahoe to Vegas and back. I'll have a better idea of what I need and don't need.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I would not recommend a luggage rack they only are designed to hold 10 lbs. They also have been known to crack the $700 trunk lid. Someone added HD suction cups to one and a saftey lanyard. So a removeable liuggage rack for trips. I would buy one as I don't have any idea what I'm even talking about.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts