Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anyone ever lowered their floorboards on a gl1500 that has Big Bike boards and a H/T shifter, or any other type of boards in place of pegs.:eek:

·
Super Moderator
28,454 Posts
Haven't heard of anyone lowering boards. I would think if you are a fabricator type I'm sure you could modify the mounts.

I am curious as to why you ask. I asssume you may be Tall of stature but, if that's the case I'm not sure the mods. will help. Let us know what your thoughts are so we may better help.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
I know you can buy a kit to lower the pegs but not sure about the floor boards. If you lower them your ground clearance in the corners would suffer. If you have long legs you might try a custom seat that will put you up higher, or maybe for starters a pad on the seat.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
bad hip

A friend is a motorcycle and hot rod builder and will be doing the mods. The bike has Big Bike boards and H/T shifter, if you are firmilar with those, they are attached with a tube rail (not ajustable), he is going to lower the board portion 2" which shouldn't hurt the lean too much, also move them forward a little. The shifter I don't know what we will do with that. I am having a seat made to move me back and up a little. The problem is I have a very bad left hip. :( Regards, Linden

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Boards

Thanks to all, i am sure i will figure something out between a custom seat and adjusting the boards. I will take all of your thoughts very serously. Linden:)

·
Registered
738 Posts
I would try the seat first.My 1500 drags the pegs pretty easy in the stock position.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Lowering of boards

Thanks for all your input, I will let you know later this weekend. The boards are definitely coming off and modified stock pegs and shifter going back on. Linden

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
IT Worked

Well Guys and Girls, my friend built two brackets (one for each side), welded the stock pegs to one end and the swivel stock mount to the other side, lowered the pegs 2 1/2 inches and brought them forward 4 inches. He tweeked the brake pedal and shifter. So much better for my achy hip. I even had a guy 5'7" drive it and he said it was very comfortable. I am 5' 11", I will finalize the fit with some custom seat tayloring and then I will put the miles on the road.
I will be posting some photos soon. Thanks again, Linden

·
Super Moderator
28,454 Posts
Linden, I for one would be interested in seeing the pictures.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Very Soon

As soon as I get the bike back I will be taking photos, it has been very stormy here in Washington State, so no riding for me. I will be having the brackets chromed. Linden :)

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
follow up

PS: my Shadow is getting jealous, the wing is getting all the attention. :)

·
Super Moderator
28,454 Posts
Yeah I know what you mean my Nighthawk goes through the same thing at times. But then you have a day like today - 60* in pa today & I think I'll take a short blast on the Hawk & it's all better.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm getting ready to return my showchrome peg lowering brackets monday. Wanted more legroom but they drag too much in the corners. The would be great on a trike. I decided raising the seat would be a better way to go.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Well Guys and Girls, my friend built two brackets (one for each side), welded the stock pegs to one end and the swivel stock mount to the other side, lowered the pegs 2 1/2 inches and brought them forward 4 inches. He tweeked the brake pedal and shifter. So much better for my achy hip. I even had a guy 5'7" drive it and he said it was very comfortable. I am 5' 11", I will finalize the fit with some custom seat tayloring and then I will put the miles on the road.
I will be posting some photos soon. Thanks again, Linden
He tweeked the brake pedal ? Not sure what he could do here.Can you elaborate more ? I'm having a problem at times with the brake arm my self.... My foot gets stuck between brake pedal and the the fuel pump housing. As for the Shifter w/ Heel Toe that took me some time to get use to that application on my GW-A 1982
Phil

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
... Howdy ... Joe's Right About The Clearence ... Especially On Off Camber Turns ... Happy Trails ...
looking at the pic's of yours ronzilla you have adjustable highway boards ( which are adjustable ) and footpegs

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
photos of the adapters

This is the adapters I had made, they will be chromed soon.:) By the way I made some pretty good sharp turns and no scraping, thank goodness. Linden

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
28,454 Posts
K.I.S.S. works again. Nothing like simplicity Linden, let us know if you encounter any issues as time goes by.

Thanks for the pictures, Good job.

·
Registered
212 Posts
This is the adapters I had made, they will be chromed soon.:) By the way I made some pretty good sharp turns and no scraping, thank goodness. Linden
Thanks for the great pictures Linden,You could go one step further and make that pedal part hinge, so if it did hit ground it would move up.You may have done this, I can't tell by the picture. It's great to see that some one can over come a obstacal when a problem comes up.It just shows at times we can make changes, and make it better.

WA9FWT Phil

1 - 20 of 23 Posts