Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having a reoccurring issue with my 06 GW where the lower left vent is blowing out of the hole. I leave both vents open year round trying to eliminate the vents from coming out but the left vent manages to find a way. I lost my second left vent yesterday and I never see or feel them hit my leg while riding, just look down and it's gone. Before I purchase my third vent I wanted to ask if these vents need to be removed during any services to get to screws or body panels? If not, I'm going to use silicone or gorilla glue to stick these vents in place permanently.

Have others had issues with vents blowing out and going missing? Is there a long term remedy?

Thanks!

·
Registered
526 Posts
I have never lost one, but I can see how it might happen if the holes get enlarged.

Going from memory here, but I think it needs to seat in the end of an air duct behind the fairing, and those get warped and misaligned. If you can't get it seated, it might be possible to get a zip tie around the back of it, and that would keep it from falling out. Worst case, use stainless steel fishing leaders to tie them onto something behind the fairing, that's what I did with my side covers when I learned those could blow away. Thankfully, I've never lost one, but if one comes loose, it won't go far now.

Reactions: Limpy45

·
Registered
409 Posts
I've been riding G/W's since 2002, and have never had a vent come loose (??) BUT then again I rarely touch them either, I have not noticed much air ever coming from them, so I don't adjust these vents at all.. Like you mentioned, I would place a dab of silicone, on each corner ... That will certainly, keep them intact.... I have lost the right side chrome cover (oil dipstick side) once, so I have wire tied that cover down, from the inside, NO problems since...

Ronnie

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your replies. Looking at the internal duct work the side tabs do look bent. If I use zip ties or silicone to adhere new ones in, will I create an issue when it comes time to do maintenance? I know half of the bike needs to be stripped down to change air filter. I guess I could always cut zip tie or break silicone seal then redo afterwards.
Automotive lighting Hood Automotive design Motor vehicle Fluid

Automotive lighting Hood Netbook Bumper Motor vehicle

·
Registered
409 Posts
Never actually thought of that issue :sleep: A silicone dab would be hard to undue , but the wire tie much easier too snip back off

Ronnie

1 - 5 of 5 Posts