Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Installed a new Lower Front Cowl today.
Driving lights on the old front cowl were rigged in with an eye bolts screwed into the sides.

Question is how do I install the driving lights into the new cowl without rigging it in? They have the metal brackets....just wondering how they stay put?

·
Premium Member
6,711 Posts
Installed a new Lower Front Cowl today.
Driving lights on the old front cowl were rigged in with an eye bolts screwed into the sides.

Question is how do I install the driving lights into the new cowl without rigging it in? They have the metal brackets....just wondering how they stay put?
Are these lites from E/C (electrical connection)?

·
Premium Member
7,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Premium Member
6,711 Posts
Yes.....Is there a hole in the plastic that will let me put the springs in?
Ok....I guess the lites were installed before you purchased the wing. The EC lights come with an angled soldering iron & 4 springs for each side. You heat the iron up and burn holes in the cowl inner tabs so the springs can be inserted to hold the brackets in. If you dont have the springs you might want to give Lewis a call at E/C. he should be able to help you out.

tech help: 865.219.9192 I do not know him personally but I have spoke to him & have purchased from him as well. He's a decent guy.

Mark

·
Premium Member
7,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wow!!....I do have the springs. I do not have the soldering iron.
I guess I need to figure out how to make a hole to install the springs. The person who installed the original lights, drilled 4 holes in the side, put an I-bolt to hook the springs to. He must have had trouble finding a soldering iron.

·
Premium Member
6,711 Posts
I guess I need to figure out how to make a hole to install the springs. The person who installed the original lights, drilled 4 holes in the side, put an I-bolt to hook the springs to. He must have had trouble finding a soldering iron.
The light kit COMES with the soldering iron. It's tip is at a 90 degree angle so you can burn holes in the plastic.
You could probably make one out of a coat hanger if you bend the end at 90 degrees & grind a point to it. Then just heat it cherry red & melt your holes.I wonder if I still have mine....it's been three years. If I find it I could mail it to you if you don't want to try the heated hanger set up.

Mark

·
Premium Member
7,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If you think a hanger will work I can try that. I just wonder if I can the tip hot enough....I do appreciate you considering sending me yours.

·
Premium Member
6,711 Posts
If you think a hanger will work I can try that. I just wonder if I can the tip hot enough....I do appreciate you considering sending me yours.
If you have a propane torch it should do fine......however....be careful not to make the hole to big or too close to the edge of the tab.....the hole should be in the center of the tab & be just big enough for the spring to fit into. The springs are pretty stout and if you put the holes to close to the edge, the spring will pull through the plastic. I looked in my tool box & I can't find the soldering heat tool. I probably threw it away. My old brain cells aren't working like they used to.

Mark

·
Premium Member
7,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thats cool...I do appreciate the effort. I do not have a torch, but I think I may can figure something out.
Funny you should mention getting it too close to the edge. The person who rigged the first ones, did that. Springs ripped through

·
Premium Member
6,711 Posts
Thats cool...I do appreciate the effort. I do not have a torch, but I think I may can figure something out.
Funny you should mention getting it too close to the edge. The person who rigged the first ones, did that. Springs ripped through
Good deal. I'm off to bed....See ya!

Mark

·
Premium Member
24,115 Posts
I just took a coat hanger, bent one end a bit to give an angle, heated it up with a Benzo-Matic torch and melted a hole for the spring.

·
Premium Member
7,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I just took a coat hanger, bent one end a bit to give an angle, heated it up with a Benzo-Matic torch and melted a hole for the spring.
I'm gonna try that....Its the same Cowl as you have. Trying to keep up the Chopins.

·
Premium Member
24,115 Posts
I'm gonna try that....Its the same Cowl as you have. Trying to keep up the Chopins.
Don't follow me, I'm lost. I had the original bent tip solder iron from EC. When I changed my lower cowl out, I'll be damned if I could find the bent tip iron. I wanted to get it done so I made due. Would I do it that way again ? Absolutely.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts