Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Currently ride 08 Victory Kingpin Tour, but am ready to purchase an 10Goldwing. Always wanted one and now is the time for me..I am 71 and in good health, no issues yet, but have concerns about seat height and stopping in traffic. Vic seat is only 26" off ground and it real easy to plant feet down at stops. Have not yet had chance to ride a Wing, but dealer says I should be okay as Wings are very stable at low speeds and easy to handle..I can get most of foot down and ride with boots, but have a rather short inseam...Do not want to change or modify seat unless necessary...Any thoughts or ideas would be very welcome...Looking forword to riding a Wing as I had a 1975 version when I was much younger....Thanks

·
Super Moderator
28,448 Posts
Welcome to the GWOF, It would be good if you could put some miles on riding a Wing if the oppurtunity was there. I agree with the dealer you shouldn't have any problems.

Again welcome, good luck & ride safe.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Welcome sir!! :)
You seem to be an experienced biker. Find yourself a Wing to demo as you would any other bike. Don't take what a dealer tells you as gospel, remember he needs to make sales. Most if not all of your questions should be answered during the ride.
I would recommend that you complete an advance rider course, if you haven't already, either before or just after the purchase.
Just my 2 cents
Ride safe

·
Registered
32 Posts
I dont know where you are located but if your dealer is like mine he will keep a newer wing for you to demo for a little while .

·
Registered
141 Posts
Welcome to the forum. What part of the country are you in? When you get your Wing--you will be so glad you did! Your concerns are much the same as were mine. I am just a very few years behind you, and vertically challenged, with an inseam of 29 or 30". I had several Honda bikes all of which had low seat heights, and I did well on them. Then I went to an HD Delux, because it had the lowest seat height of any Harley, and got along well riding, but the bike had serious electrical problems that were never solved. Then traded for an HD Ultra, and my concerns about seat height caused me to have it lowered front and back at day 1, which although made it more managable, also seriously compromised its suspension. It would hit bottom way to often, and had a very noisy 5th gear due to gear cut/design, my dissatisfaction grew. While having my Ulta serviced last summer I found a near new GW with 4k on it in my dealers storage shed. I sat on it, and it felt right, I could get both heels on the ground. It was stock. My HD dealer (who also sells 3 brands of metrics) had me ride it, and thats all it took. I traded, and feel now I am on the right bike after putting 10k on it last fall. I wear boots with soles about an inch thick. I will tell you too, that I have sat on other new GW's that felt too high, it seems they are like jeans the same size, some fit better than others. Make the move if it feels right, you will be glad you did. Good Luck.

·
Premium Member
647 Posts
Vertically Challenged

Opas,

Not to worry; I am short in the legs too, 31" and sitting on my Wing have both feet flat on the pavement and knees bent. Welcome and Enjoy.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Low Speed Handling

I've found that the video, "Ride Like a Pro" was very useful in learning how to better maneuver at slow speeds. Most cycle magazines have ads with addresses (online too).

Currently ride 08 Victory Kingpin Tour, but am ready to purchase an 10Goldwing. Always wanted one and now is the time for me..I am 71 and in good health, no issues yet, but have concerns about seat height and stopping in traffic. Vic seat is only 26" off ground and it real easy to plant feet down at stops. Have not yet had chance to ride a Wing, but dealer says I should be okay as Wings are very stable at low speeds and easy to handle..I can get most of foot down and ride with boots, but have a rather short inseam...Do not want to change or modify seat unless necessary...Any thoughts or ideas would be very welcome...Looking forword to riding a Wing as I had a 1975 version when I was much younger....Thanks

·
Registered
109 Posts
I too am vertically challenged....28" inseam...I can put my feet flat on the ground only if I slide forward on the seat....but I love my Wing!! [a rocket with touring equipment!!]

·
Premium Member
23,774 Posts
This reminds me of my qualifying ride to get my class M license 5 years ago. If I have kept my class M edorsement up through my years of not riding this never would have happened to me.

·
Super Moderator
9,855 Posts
29 inch inseam here and I can touch the ground. If you have the rear suspension all the way up you may be on the balls of your feet, but the bike has such a low center of gravity, that it's still manageable.

·
Premium Member
1,999 Posts
This reminds me of my qualifying ride to get my class M license 5 years ago. If I have kept my class M edorsement up through my years on not riding this never would have happened to me. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCQXdgJypqw&feature=related
When I got my "M" back in 2000 it was (and is) graduated. I liked it when my kids got their "G" (car) license, but what a pain in the but, because I've been driving since 1975 and had to live through it for the bike license.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts