Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

low oil mystery!

8K views 16 replies 12 participants last post by  2003 GL1800 POLICE 
#1 · (Edited)
HELP!! Has any of you changed your crankcase oil to find that four quarts is not enough to fill the case to the marks on the stick? I changed oil and filter, then added 3.75 quarts. I ran the engine for a minute or so then let it sit for a couple of minutes, and checked the level. I expected to have to add a little, but there was NONE on the stick. I checked for leaks (of course) and everything was clean and dry.I added the rest of the fourth quart, and got the same results. My garage floor slopes slightly toward the door, so I turned the bike around and repeated the level check. Same results.
Have any of you experienced this? Is the quantity in the owner's manual, and the $100.00 service manual both wrong?
What the hell?!? Please advise a.s.a.p.
Thanks,
unclebill

#2 ·
Make sure you're on the center stand and not the side stand!

#3 ·
The bike is on the center stand, with four(4) quarts of oil in it. I used an oem Honda filter, so the capacity should not be different. After letting the bike sit for about 20 minutes, I checked again, and there is SOME oil on the stick, but it is still way low.
I would appreciate any ideas, guys.
Thanks,
unclebill

#4 ·
I haven't any idea how that can be. Bike on the center stand, rear wheel raised off the floor and the front wheel resting on the floor. It should be up on the stick.

Questions;
1.where these four individual quarts or did you pour it out of a Gallon jug. If a Gallon jug, what are the chances it wasn't full.
2.What year bike and how long have you had it.
3. Have you ever changed the oil before and have you ever checked the oil in this bike using the dip stick.
I ask these question not trying to be a jerk.
If the bike is new to you, the dip stick in the bike might not even be the right stick.
From the Northwest Corner
Ron

#5 ·
I used four quarts of Amsoil 10w40 high-performance synthetic motorcycle oil.
The bike is on the center stand.
It's a 2010GL1800.
I've had it long enough to put 1200 miles on it.(4 weeks)
This is the first oil change I've done on THIS bike, but it's far from my first rodeo.
The oil was exactly to the full mark on the stick before I drained it to do the change.
Any more ideas,anyone? i am running out of things to consider, except just putting oil in until it reaches the full line on the dipstick, and making note of the exact amount it took.
Thanks again,
unclebill

#7 ·
I've never seen this happen before, but I got peeved and walked away for about an hour to have dinner, and when I came back to check it, the oil level was almost exactly on the full line! Don't have the foggiest idea how it could take so long for the oil to settle fully like that, but ALL IS WELL!
Thanks, guys!
unclebill

#10 ·
even though you had the wing on the centerstand doesn't mean the ground was level where you checked the oil at. i have to be careful because of uneven pavement when checking oil

#11 ·
Put 4 quarts in and your done. Don't add more and don't put in less. Start it up and the oil light goes out. Drive off and have a good day. Repeat every xxxx (you fill in) miles along with a new filter. Folks have done this for years and never had an engine starved for oil.

#13 ·
I've seen engines where the oil is slow to settle back down into the crank case. My airplane for example takes a good half hour to read right (Lycoming O320D ) and it's an opposed piston engine similar to a Wing's layout except air cooled and pushrod etc.

#14 ·
The OP, unclebill, is not crazy. I have just gone through the exact same thing. I have a 2008 GL1800. I changed the oil on a level garage floor with the bike on the center stand using Honda GN4 10W-40 oil with a NAPA Gold 1358 filter. I added 3.75 qts then checked following the run 3-5 minutes then let settle 2-3 minutes rule and oil didn't show on the dipstick. I added the remaining .25 qt and again ran the bike for several minutes then let stand 5 minutes and checked. Oil barely showed on dipstick. I'm like "what the h*!! is going on?" I grabbed some lunch then checked again without running the engine and the oil level was to the halfway mark. Its Saturday and I have yard work to get done and dinner plans so I decide to return to this on Sunday. I check it first thing Sunday morning and the oil level is just below full. If the 2-3 minute settling time is indeed true than I feel like the bike is low on oil. I am a bit nervous because I won't have an opportunity to ride it again before climbing on it for a 7 day, 1800 mile trip.

#17 ·
Mine seems to do the same thing! When I change oil I put in 4. Then run it. Then leave it for 30 min or so and it checks full. Seems some take longer that others to drain back. My buddies 08 does not take as long to drain back as my 03. Wonder what the difference is? As a auto tech and motorcycle tech I have learned 1 thing, Nothing in this industry surprises me any more!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.