Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to post my solution for riding in to the sun. This is considering the helmet I have of course. Three layers of .6 neutral density gel taped to the bottom of the visor. When it's flipped up the gel rides right at the top above my field of forward vision. No more glaring sun. I can see fine riding directly in to it.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
13,822 Posts
Nice! Thanks for the tip.

·
Premium Member
5,536 Posts
+ 1 on Marks comment

·
Premium Member
411 Posts
what is that? Never heard of it. now I gotta go google.

·
Premium Member
411 Posts
I didn't get the result I needed from google.

I am just taking a guess....

are GELS the things the stage lighting hands install on the lights to get different colors or effects?

·
Premium Member
5,361 Posts
Hey Maestro, I guess he never heard of bed liner black... No tape required. :wink2:

I too am interested in what this "neutral density gel" stuff is. TIA.

·
Administrator
25,969 Posts
Looks interesting, thanks for the post.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Or just go to a auto center that installs window film on car windows. They have many different shades of tinting material. They'll probably give you some leftovers.

·
Registered
6,072 Posts
I have an integral shaded visor, but still use an old trick of mine. I put a strip or two of black electrical tape on the upper edge that I can use as a sun shield by how I angle my head. Makes a huge difference when headed into the sun on an early commute.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I use these, oxy acetylene glasses. Very dark and can look directly at the sun. If I know that i will be riding into the sun, I put these on. In normal light, everything has a light yellowish look. They are a tight fit with my new HJC helmet but they work really well.

Attachments

·
Registered
344 Posts
A good visor is essential for heading into a low sun. The older helmets with snaps made it easy to attach. But most new models miss this essential feature. I bought a visor once that attached by velcro to the shield and did the job but not as secure as snaps. It also caught the wind when flipped up. I'll see if I can find a link if I can remember the name.

The super dark goggles mentioned above would block visibility too much, especially when going through shadow zones.

The dark gel mentioned sounds good but requires you to flip up your shield removing your eye protection.

Manufacturers need to go back to including generic snaps so visors can be attached. It's a safety feature that should be part of DOT helmet certification. Avoiding a hit is good and easier when you can see.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts