Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2013 Level III "Low Fuel Warning" light is not working. I assume when you turn ignition key on that light will shine. It is not on then.

I typically try not to run over 200 mi on full tank. The other day I went 220 and put 5.7 gal in tank and light never came on.

Is it difficult (expensive) fix?

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
that would have been about the time it should have come on
mine comes on with about one gallon left, mine too is a 2013, the tank holds 6.6 gal

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
just had to walk out to my bike to be sure on the rest of your question
NO it does not come on with the ignition

so ..... I would say you would have just needed to stick with it a little longer

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
I have run my 2012 til the light came on and ended up putting close to 5.7 gallons in it. Reserve is supposed to be 1.16 gal.
My 2004 would come on at 5.4 gal. +-

·
Registered
218 Posts
The 2012 to 2017 low fuel light does not come on with the rest of the bulbs during the ignition on lamp check.
Even though the owners manual states that is is a "lamp check" item, it is not.

·
Registered
45 Posts
JMO: Motorcycle fuel indicators are not precise instruments. Mine comes on at about the 5.3-5.9 gallon used mark. This past weekend I ran my 2008 GL1800 Motortrike for 178 miles and then the low fuel light came on. At 182 miles we arrived at the Shell station across the street from home and I put in 5.9 gallons. It has come on earlier than that on a couple of occasions. My cousin's trike has a low fuel light that varies slightly more than mine. So my bottom line is that I use my odometer to determine fuel stops.

·
Administrator
15,249 Posts
On my 2010 if I was just cruising around I would regularly get 240 miles out of a tank. It would be about 5.9 gallons to fill back up. The light would come on around 220 miles. So I think you should take a ride around your area when you are low to really test it out. Especially if you are in an area with plenty of fuel stations.

Reactions: NREMTP

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
On my 12 the light comes on as the gauge needle meets 1/8 tank while on side stand or cornering. Usually takes 5.2-5.5 gallons to fill it. I really dont think about it much. I havent rode alot of long distances but I've never had to go more than about 190 miles between gas stops.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
There is really only one way to know. Are you prepared and brave enough ?
Ride in circles around the house. That way you don't have to walk very far.
When had my 2004, I ran for 45 miles after the light came on. Put in 6.3 gallons. Way to close for comfort.
Plus, not good for the fuel pump.

·
Registered
818 Posts
I have had two interesting runs that made me quiver. My light usually comes on when I have about a gallon of fuel left. Twice I have ran past gas stations and the next one was further away than I expected. The last time this happened was when I was coming home from the Henderson Memorial trip to NC. Wanted to get to Louisville MS because there was a station at an easy exit and it was close to home. I actually put 6.6 gal in the tank on the fill. The light was on when I came out of Starkville. Should have stopped.

One thing you can do if you are nervous is run the fuel down low and get a one gallon gas can and put it in the trunk. Run til the light comes on and go immediately and fuel up. That will let you know what your light is doing. I usually run about 220 on a tank unless I need to stop at say 200. 240 is almost always doable for me but I need to stop befor then when on a trip.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My 2013 Level III "Low Fuel Warning" light is not working. I assume when you turn ignition key on that light will shine. It is not on then.

I typically try not to run over 200 mi on full tank. The other day I went 220 and put 5.7 gal in tank and light never came on.

that is my O crap light. I try to never see it.. But it really does vary as to when it comes on.

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
On my 12 the light comes on as the gauge needle meets 1/8 tank while on side stand or cornering. Usually takes 5.2-5.5 gallons to fill it. I really dont think about it much. I havent rode alot of long distances but I've never had to go more than about 190 miles between gas stops.
Same here with my '06. It starts coming on in corners right at the 1/8th tank mark, which for me is usually around 320km (200mi) depending on speed.

·
Registered
2010 Honda Gold Wing Audi/Comfort GL1800HPM
9 Posts
On my 2010, the light comes on when there is 1/16 to 1/8 indicated on the gauge. Depending on how full I filled the tank, my light comes on around 210-220. If I am riding at lower speeds, I figure I can run 15-20 additional miles with the light on with no issue. That has been through confirmed operations-sometimes not my first choose. Like someone else has already said, my light DOES NOT come on when turning the ignition switch on. My maintenance manual does say it should. The 5.5 +- 0.4 gals for the light does appear to be the range. When I first got my bike, I would drive it until I got to a specific level on the fuel gauge and then fill it up. That helped me to trust the fuel gauge along with the fuel mileage I was getting.

All this can change depending on how and where you are riding on that tank full of fuel. Driving in town or around a big city versa bucking a strong headwind at highway speed of 85+ does make a difference in MPG and distance per tank full.

·
Registered
17 Posts

You got me thinking about this so today I tested mine. Seems when the gauge showed just under 1/8 of a tank remaining, the light came on, albeit intermittently and subject to starts, stops and leaning into turns. A couple miles afterwards, it was steadily glowing so I pulled in to fill the tank with 5.7 gallons. That was a 212 mile trip and equated to 37.25 mpg doing mainly highway speed, 1-up.
So I will look to always fill up before 1/8 tank, cause you never know. Thanks for the thread.

·
Registered
818 Posts
You got me thinking about this so today I tested mine. Seems when the gauge showed just under 1/8 of a tank remaining, the light came on, albeit intermittently and subject to starts, stops and leaning into turns. A couple miles afterwards, it was steadily glowing so I pulled in to fill the tank with 5.7 gallons. That was a 212 mile trip and equated to 37.25 mpg doing mainly highway speed, 1-up.
So I will look to always fill up before 1/8 tank, cause you never know. Thanks for the thread.
That is about like mine. I usually try to get fuel no later than 220 but as I stated earlier I have gone a little over 250 on fumes. It took 6.6 gal in a 6.5 gal tank to fill it. Not a good idea. That said it is good there is some cushion after the light comes on.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts