Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2006 wing and when I turn the motorcycle on the front lights do not work. They don't work at all. Low or high. The back lights are fine. The bike runs fine but no front lights.

·
Premium Member
5,312 Posts
I am NOT the electrical expert at all, but your chances of 4 bulbs being out are slim to none. So..., That leaves the hi-lo switch and a whole mess of wiring. Before you tear it all apart, you may wish to wait for some better advice. There are guys here that are pretty good at electrical issues. Do you have any more information that you can add? Did this just "happen" or did something lead up to it?

·
Premium Member
23,795 Posts
I have experienced this : Turn bike on, headlights on. Start bike , headlight extinguish during starting ( as they should ) . Bike started and running, no headlights. Problem, sticky starter switch. Fix, spray WD-40 in switch.

·
Super Moderator
28,508 Posts
Buy some Electric Contact Cleaner spray. Unlike my good friend who relies on WD40, if you want it to be clean and not just covered up with more slippy goo buy Electric Contact Cleaner, spray the switch well inside (be sure to have a rag with you to stop mess), then blow the switch out with some canned air so not to put moisture in.

·
Premium Member
5,312 Posts
I have experienced this : Turn bike on, headlights on. Start bike , headlight extinguish during starting ( as they should ) . Bike started and running, no headlights. Problem, sticky starter switch. Fix, spray WD-40 in switch.
Now you did it. Your gonna bring out all the wd-40 haters. :hater:

·
Administrator
25,924 Posts
Best use for WD-40 is to clean tar off or tack oil of a vehicle from cosntruction.:popcorn::icon_smile_big:

Gotta agree with Bones on the contact cleeaner...

"How many times do I have to tell ye, the rrright tool forrr the rrrright job?!"
Montgomery Scott (Scotty)

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
WD-40 is a water displacement chemical not a contact cleaner! IMHO it's a good product for many uses but, not for electical switches!!

·
Premium Member
23,795 Posts
Still, it worked. That was three years ago and I have not had a reoccurrence . It also worked on my radio Station selector switch on the handlebar. Nanny nanny boo-boo . Bwahahaha.

·
Premium Member
5,312 Posts
Told ya....

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It worked

Buy some Electric Contact Cleaner spray. Unlike my good friend who relies on WD40, if you want it to be clean and not just covered up with more slippy goo buy Electric Contact Cleaner, spray the switch well inside (be sure to have a rag with you to stop mess), then blow the switch out with some canned air so not to put moisture in.
After doing this last night and this morning the lights work. Great advice. Thanks for your help.

·
Super Moderator
28,508 Posts
Great to hear! Another issue solved by the GWOF membership.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 2006 wing and when I turn the motorcycle on the front lights do not work. They don't work at all. Low or high. The back lights are fine. The bike runs fine but no front lights.
I have a 1995 Goldwing SE same issue as quoted. No low/high beam
*Head Lights are not on before or after starting.
*Checked Fuses - All Good
*Checked Relays - swapped the cruise control for Headlight - Cruise Control still worked, still no head light, therefore, Relay Good.
*Sprayed Electric Contact Cleaner spray in starter switch housing. - feels a hair sticky, but switch seems to return to proper position. No issues starting bike (was sticky where bike wouldn't start, just that quick contact start attempt)
*Flipped the Hi/Low switch - nothing, not even a blue light when on Hi beam position.

I had a Head Light issue twice before:
1st time also had no neutral light, no reverse and bike wouldn't start, replaced the 5amp Fuse (in the Fuse box/panel)
2nd time replaced the 5amp Relay Fuse to fix. (just below the Headlight (Low) 20amp Relay in the Relay box/panel - Fuse 12, I think)
I know its not the bulbs as the headlight comes on when I put bike in Reverse. - its how I discovered the fix in #2 above.

Maybe I need compressed air to (ahem) blow my switch...or whip out the WD-40?

At a loss...this only keeps me from riding at night

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Give them hell, Chopin. I use WD-40 on everything and anything. It always works and never caused a future problem. Enough said. LOL. PS: I don’t have any electrical contact cleaner and I’m too cheap to go buy some.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 1995 Goldwing SE same issue as quoted. No low/high beam
*Head Lights are not on before or after starting.
*Checked Fuses - All Good
*Checked Relays - swapped the cruise control for Headlight - Cruise Control still worked, still no head light, therefore, Relay Good.
*Sprayed Electric Contact Cleaner spray in starter switch housing. - feels a hair sticky, but switch seems to return to proper position. No issues starting bike (was sticky where bike wouldn't start, just that quick contact start attempt)
*Flipped the Hi/Low switch - nothing, not even a blue light when on Hi beam position.

I had a Head Light issue twice before:
1st time also had no neutral light, no reverse and bike wouldn't start, replaced the 5amp Fuse (in the Fuse box/panel)
2nd time replaced the 5amp Relay Fuse to fix. (just below the Headlight (Low) 20amp Relay in the Relay box/panel - Fuse 12, I think)
I know its not the bulbs as the headlight comes on when I put bike in Reverse. - its how I discovered the fix in #2 above.

Maybe I need compressed air to (ahem) blow my switch...or whip out the WD-40?

At a loss...this only keeps me from riding at night
Did you ever find the headlight problem? I am having the same thing happen. Thanks, Horses

·
Registered
6,988 Posts
Did you ever find the headlight problem? I am having the same thing happen. Thanks, Horses
Welcome to the forum, Horses. What year/model Wing do you have?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts