Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

I purchased a 83 GW Interstate GL1100 I think it is. I have a few questions and any input would be great.

1. It came with a heal & toe shifter and I did not like that so I took it off but my foot does not fit underneath the shifter to shift easy. I have to press my foot up against it and try to lift it my pressure on the front of it. Can the shifters be raised at all so I can get my foot underneath?

2. The windshield seems to be more of a hassle to see through than its worth. I tried it with it off and it was not fun due to the lack of wind protection. Are windshields just for a windbreak and a bug stopper?

3. Is there a way to lower it, I think if I had it another inch lower it would be a bit easier to move around?

4. Would you go naked with it and take off the side and back compartments along with the front parts as well? I don't think I will be doing a lot of touring I mainly just got it to go back and forth from work.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
11,298 Posts
Welcome to GWOF from Down Under.
What a great looking classic you have there. I think you need to give yourself time to get use to the screen.
I also wouldn't take off the top box or panniers either. They are just so handy to store your wet weather gear, take your lunch and all sort of things.
Eric

·
Premium Member
7,936 Posts
Hi brandonjolley and welcome to the GWOF!

I have the same bike, only an SE version with a Vetter faring and would not want a heel-toe shifter on it either.

1. I have the same BIGFOOT problem. You can easily change the gear shift lever to a higher position by loosening the pinch bolt and pulling the lever and the hook spring off; move it 1-2 grooves at a time until it's comfortable, then tighten the pinch bolt and you're good. I'm gonna have to flip the peg and bracket, I guess, as my feet are long, too.

2. Windscreens are for windbreak (wind pressure is very tiring on long trips) and also to keep the critters and other stuff off you.

3. If you want to lower it, go ahead. Requires a reference line at the point you want to lower it to, a fine jig/sabre jaw to cut it, 100, 200 and 1000 grit sandpaper, a fine file if you want to put an "original" bevel on the edges, and then polish the edge with rubbing compound or my favorite, jeweler's rouge. Done.

4. As long as you're street legal and safe, if you don't need the boxes on the back, then I guess you'll have less drag without them. I don't have that option with my '85 Aspencade. Need the trunk and saddlebags for the rear brake lights and turn signals, but the '83 1100 SE does not. Don't know if your Interstate does.

All I've done so far on the '83 1100 is drain the oil, which was half gas, and sprayed penetrating oil into the cylinders through the spark plug holes to soak the rings. The bike sat for about 8 years before I bought it, so I'm being very careful with it, turning the engine over just a little at a time, soaking the rings some more, etc. After the '85 is reasonably perfect, I'll pull the carbs off the 1100 and hopefully simply clean them thoroughly, then run Seafoam (2oz per gallon for hard cleaning) in the first tank or two. It would be fun to share the mutual experience with you and the Forum. And, of course, we must supply photos or we're making it all up!:p

·
Banned
2,926 Posts

Welcome from Seattle.

I don't know much about that particular motorcycle, but, I highly recommend the GWRRA groups (Goldwing Road Riders Association) to find folks who ride wings in your area. When you attend chapter meetings you will find friendly folks that ride the same motorcycle you do, and like the members of this forum, they know their motorcycle. You can find a local chapter by going their website: http://www.gwrra.org

:)

·
Registered
668 Posts
Welcome nice bike, it seems that the others have addressed your concerns, I would be a plus one for keep the bags but its your ride do as you like.

·
Super Moderator
15,178 Posts
hello brandon, welcome to GWOF. the windshield looks taller than stock and if you remove the bags you'll have to get some turn signals and if you remove the fairing you will need a headlite and turn signals

·
Administrator
29,085 Posts
Welcome to the GWOF from the Keystone State.

·
Super Moderator
10,063 Posts
Welcome to the forum and congrats on your new 2u Wing. Ride safe and enjoy the forum..

·
Premium Member
7,506 Posts
Welcome from the Lonestar state. As others have said the luggage is handy as you should always carry the essentials; rain gear, tool kit etc. if you take your lunch to work, handy for that or stopping on way home at the store and loading up some groceries. I use mine for groceries and for my business as I carry a rotary laser level, computer, camera, tape measure, media backpack, coverall and boots along with a cooler for water and lunch and rain gear etc. I use all the storage space on my Wing. I'd be lost without it.

·
Premium Member
7,506 Posts
When I got my 1500 the windshield was terrible, it was yellowed and couldn't see through it. Couldn't afford a replacement at first so I took some blue painters tape and taped the old shield, traced out a line I wanted to cut and cut it with my jig saw with a fine blade. The screen cuts like butter. Like others said, file the edge or sand. I cut mine so I could see over it. Later I bought a Windbender windshield. Not sure if they're made for for the GL 1100.

·
Super Moderator
15,178 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,178 Posts
Ok, another question for you. I know there are certian things you dont want to get wet when washing a bike. What are those things and what is the best way to wash my bike?

Thanks
wings are really water proof but don't use a power washer

·
Premium Member
24,510 Posts
Welcome brandonjolley. I see you've already gotten some valuable assistance, it's a big piece of what makes this place so cool. Good find trike lady! I'd try and cut the windshield you have now first though, saves the expense of buying one if you don't really need it. You should be able to see over the screen to a spot 80 feet in front of the bike for ideal performance and vision.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.