Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have lost my keys to my 1978 Goldwint GL 1000. Does anyone know of a way to get new keys. Also I am in the process of moving and need to move it ASAP. Is there a way to hotwire to start it and get it moved until I get new keys.

Any help to solve this little problem would be much appreciated.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,405 Posts
Hey BooBoo,

http://mysecuritypro.com/HondaHOND-4D.PMotorcycleKeyBlanks.aspx

this is where I bought 2 blanks for about 15 bucks. I had a blank to compare but they do have listings and hopefully yours.

I went to an old, local hardware store to cut them but then again, you don't have one to copy from.

Someone may have a better idea but depends on how big a hurry you are in.

these were far cheaper than thru Honda. My direciton would be to buy here and find a lock smith to cut the first blank for you and then get a copy made somewhere else.

BTW, the new fancy no brains needed machines won't take a dual sided key. Don't know what yours looks like but my 1500 was dual cut and why I mentioned finding an old key cutter.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
ok so who cuts double sided keys?????? I have one key now Im scared!

·
Premium Member
1,405 Posts
ok so who cuts double sided keys?????? I have one key now Im scared!
where ever someone has the old style key cutters where the wheel is open. they just cut one side then flip it over

the new ones have a plastic cover and a slot for each key. (user safety guard).

Here anyway Lowes, Home Depot have the new ones and they cut one side only.

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
your key code is either on top of the ignition switch or on the bottom. take the code to your dealer and he should be able to cut you a new key

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
detdrbuzzard is right, the key code is on the ingnition barrel, but its usually hard to find (inconspicuous location) so that ne'er do well's can't just look and get a key to your ride. It often take removal of the barrel to find, but that's better than not having a key. Getting a whole new key and lock set for an older GL might not only be difficult, but also expensive. A single key and ignition for an atv up here is over a hunder bucks. Imagine what a Wing might be.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
My key has a marking on it A33 is this a useful number?

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
That is your key code. If you have a dealer that has a Honda key cutter, he 'should' be able to cut that particular key. We don't have one, but a dealer close to us does. We've had some keys work, and lots that don't. We suggest taking the ignition barrel with you and testing the key in the ignition once the key is cut. The other alternative is to take your existing keys to a locksmith or cutting shop and get extras made before it's too late (lost keys).

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
There is a locksmith in downtown Burlington, hopefully he has the blanks I will call tomorrow! I have only had one key since the purchase. Not too smart! The light went on when boobaroo posted !!!

·
Premium Member
1,405 Posts
There is a locksmith in downtown Burlington, hopefully he has the blanks I will call tomorrow! I have only had one key since the purchase. Not too smart! The light went on when boobaroo posted !!!
check out the pricing if not in a hurry.
I spent 15 bucks total for 2 keys. I couldn't come close at Honda but if you are in need, it is the way to go.

·
Registered
67 Posts
rigginray, if your locksmith doesn't have the blanks for your 1200, go online and do a search for the key blanks for a 2006 VTX 1300S.

My VTX key blanks and my 1200 key blanks are identical. I had a locksmith cut a key for my 1200 using a blank I ordered for my VTX and it works perfectly.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Key switch

Try stores.ebaycom/partsman he has a keyswitch with key for $9.00 worth a look Hal

·
Registered
32 Posts
i dont see any reason that if you went to a locksmith with proof of ownership he cant get the key code fron the manufactor just like with a car they use the vin number to get the code i have done it with several cars never needed it for a bike but i would try

·
Premium Member
1,405 Posts
i dont see any reason that if you went to a locksmith with proof of ownership he cant get the key code fron the manufactor just like with a car they use the vin number to get the code i have done it with several cars never needed it for a bike but i would try
You are correct. I had to have a motorcycle key made by a locksmith about 1992. He didn't ask questions but it cost me 65 dollars for him to file 1 key. I don't know about other bikes but 1 from Honda was a lot more than I was willing to pay. I am just a cheap but.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Thank you for all the input guys!! I am glad I have the key code and key, I am sure it would be very expensive to have it re keyed if I lost my only key, I had to have the Jeep re-keyed to the tune of 180.00$$

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
The VIN number won't work for having a key cut here in Canada, at least since about 2000 or so. The 3 character key code is the only recourse we have. If it still works for you folks in the US I wish they'd (Honda, DMV whatever) share the technology. The VIN # coding is the same for US or Canadian units so it sure doesn't make sense.

·
Premium Member
1,922 Posts
I was told by a lock smith it would be $25 to cut me a key from just the key code.
Since we are sorta on this subject I have a question. I know it is because I refuse to believe that this could be so simple. I have a remote that will open and lock and unlock my trunk. The owners manual says that it will need to be reprogrammed if it sits for longer than 30 days. To prevent this just turn the bike on and thats it. First of all I think its it stupid that it would have to be reprogrammed if it sat that long and second it cant be that simple???? I know I rambled WAY to long. Thanks for any help :D

·
Premium Member
23,772 Posts
I was told by a lock smith it would be $25 to cut me a key from just the key code.
Since we are sorta on this subject I have a question. I know it is because I refuse to believe that this could be so simple. I have a remote that will open and lock and unlock my trunk. The owners manual says that it will need to be reprogrammed if it sits for longer than 30 days. To prevent this just turn the bike on and thats it. First of all I think its it stupid that it would have to be reprogrammed if it sat that long and second it cant be that simple???? I know I rambled WAY to long. Thanks for any help :D
There is a procedure for programming a new remote to the bike. It can happen that remotes loose their identity with the machine in question, as it sometimes happens with garage door openers. When, and if ,you need the programing sequence we can find it.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts