Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody. I recently left New York on my way to Florida. Everything was fine until today. The bike started losing power and would only maintain about 50 mph. I stopped, let the bike cool down, checked the fuel filter (it was fine), added some sea foam, and changed the spark plugs. I noticed that the coolant was a little overfilled. Anyway, it seemed fine after it cooled down but about 20-30 minutes later on the highway it happened again. I'm sort of stranded until I figure this out. PLEASE HELP!!!

·
Premium Member
7,509 Posts
Lonewulf, wish I could help you as I'm having the same problem. I added sea foam and found some ethanol free gas, all to no avail. Mine bogs down about mid throttle as I can only get mine up to about 65. I'm afraid I'm going to have to take mine to a motorcycle shop for repair and you may be in the same boat too. Perhaps someone more mechanically inclined than me can walk you through a diagnostic check. Good luck my friend on getting your Wing running again.

·
Super Moderator
12,268 Posts
Have you both replaced the air filter?

It might be possible one of the pulse generators (spark pickups) is going bad.

·
Premium Member
11,279 Posts
I would be thinking it is gas. With the price of gas filter, i would start with replacing that. (I know you said it looked ok)
If you have carbs: Try a bit of choke and see if the revs pick up. If it picks up revs, you have crap in the carbs. You can try Seaform to clean it out or pull the carbs and clean them.
That would be my starting point. Best of luck with it.

·
Super Moderator
12,268 Posts
Good idea with the choke, Eric.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Gasoline - Water Mix

Hey Lonewulff, How long after your last fill-up did the problem begin ? There are lots of the two pump gas stations with a gas/water mix out there. In some cases they are trying to sell an old low grade fuel that they picked up at a bargain or discount rate. I've found that the larger stations are less pron to this issue because of the number of gallons they turn over each day.

I had the same performance problem you are having about 30 minutes down the road from Possum Trot Texas one time. I finally had to use 1/4 choke just to keep the bike moving and to keep from being stranded. Later I was able to add a couple of pints of STP fuel treatment and some fresh gas that took care of the problem. If water in the fuel is your problem it will settle in the bottom of the tank. In a worse case scenario you may have to let it sit for a while so you can drain some of the fuel out.

I might add that to drain some of the fuel out - I meant to use a siphoning process. If you use a small vacuum line size hose, pulling the fuel out is very easy to get started. Push the siphon hose to the bottom of the tank to get as much water/poor fuel out as possible. A clear plastic catch bottle will allow you to see if there is a contaminant in the gas. Don't forget to drain the carburetor fuel bowls as well.

Good Luck, Michael :)

·
Registered
370 Posts
You might try to loosen the fuel cap when it starts to bog down, if that helps then the cap vent is plugged.

·
Premium Member
24,648 Posts
There could also be a weakened/collapsed vacuum line, not all that uncommon on a bike 10-15 years old. Will act just like that. Could also be a plugged jet.

·
Registered
347 Posts
There could also be a weakened/collapsed vacuum line, not all that uncommon on a bike 10-15 years old. Will act just like that. Could also be a plugged jet.
Yep... sounds like what a friend of mine's GL1500 was doing last year. He battled it for months and finally discovered a vacuum line that looked and felt fine, but was so soft and spongy it was collapsing under increased vacuum and bogging the engine down at higher speeds.

You may want to just replace them all. That will eliminate one possible culprit and might even resolve the problem.

·
Administrator
28,997 Posts
Several things to look for.

The already Budoka mentioned vacuum lines, possible vacuum pilot assy. problems (this is what went out on my 1500 in 2010 x-country trip. They can be rebuilt but I opted for new one). Finally I had a great deal of rust/sediment that had acumulated in my tank. Pulled the fuel pump & while it was out cleaned tank well & changed pump. When I did that service what was happening to the bike was while pulling a decent load (cruising 65 on slab going up steep grades) the bike would bog down as if stalling/losing power. If I backed out of throttle a bit the slower speed could be maintained.

Good Luck on your findings.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts