Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As mentioned in another thread, I recently had my valve cover bolts on the left side of my GL1800 come loose on a trip. Didn't notice until I saw oil on my boot. I tightened them up which stopped the leak but it got me wondering - is this something common that I need to be checking, and what else commonly comes loose? What do you folks check on regularly?

Cheers,
Kerry

·
Super Moderator
10,000 Posts
Oil, tires and tire pressure. That's about all I check before a ride. Never had a valve cover come loose.

·
Premium Member
333 Posts
I do a visual walk around of the bike to make sure nothing is about to fall off then check tire condition and pressure, once I start the bike I check lights, horn etc then HAUL!!!

·
Premium Member
24,638 Posts
Never heard of that one before either. I'll check my manual when I get time and see if there's any mention of thread locker used on them. I'll PM you when I get back from my fishing trip on Sunday.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Never heard of that one before either. I'll check my manual when I get time and see if there's any mention of thread locker used on them. I'll PM you when I get back from my fishing trip on Sunday.
Thanks, I never thought of thread lock.

Sounds like this is unusual, which is good...

·
Registered
674 Posts
How anal I get for checking bolt nuts etc, depends on how old the bike is.
my 2012 you will hardly get me to bend over to look if I even have wheels on the bike. but I check it over oil air pressure etc about once a month depending on miles.
I am more concerned with work done by others at Honda or the unknown hack mechanic. so if I have an older bike that has had every Tom Dick and Harry working on it over the years, I wont be comfortable until the whole bike has been gone over front to rear top to bottom. redoing torque and lock tight on the real important fasteners. I had a friend who was devastated when his buddy did a front brake job on a sportster and I am not sure what came loose but the front wheel locked up on I-95 and the guy went down then got run over. I always think of this accident when I am working on anything that may effect others regardless of how minor something may seem. from ignition timing to brake light switches anything that can negatively effect the performance of any motor vehicle and ultimately effect someone else's safety I simply will not skimp. after all if I leave bolts loose on my rear wheel lets say and it comes off and kills me, well that sucks, but if the wheel continues on and hurts or kills someone else I would have wished it was me.
I hope this explains why I am so anal when it come to repairs. I may not be able to make anything perfect but I will normally try and do my best which isn't the easy thing to do just the right thing to do.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts