Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I finally got around to making a set of skid pads for the Kuryakyn Floorboards I bought.
The come with these thin cheap plastic pads on the bottom to protect the board from scraping. Well since I tend to scrape them a lot, I decide what better way to protect them than add a special modification to them!

So I researched materials and came up with Titanium as a perfect metal to make them from. Here is why, Titanium is more wear resistant than steel and the main reason, Titanium make BRIGHT WHITE sparks unlike steel with it's dull dim orange sparks.

You may ask your self, why would you want to throw sparks when your boards drag?
My answer is simple, if you were not paying attention and followed a motorcycle too close, what would get your attention faster? I middle finger solute from the MC rider? Or a shower of blinding white sparks as the rider flips the bike side to side in his lane?:D

Yep, Sparklers it is! I probably won't get around to machining them till next week but here is the Titanium I picked up off Ebay for about half it's scrap value!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
23,774 Posts
Love it! Damn, Buzzy. I could use a small thin plate on the outside edges of my Highway boards. " Rapier " could use the entire underside of his highway pegs covered with this. Happy Fourth of July.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Love it! Damn, Buzzy. I could use a small thin plate on the outside edges of my Highway boards. " Rapier " could use the entire underside of his highway pegs covered with this. Happy Fourth of July.
Chop, sounds like you would do fine with some Titanium Screws! No machining to do and all that is required of you is to drill/tap as many holes as you want then screw them in place!
I found several lots of titanium bolts and screws on Ebay and they are pretty cheap considering what they are. You could get-r-done for a $20 bill!

This is a great example of what I am talking about!
http://cgi.ebay.com/3-8-24-UNF-X-15MM-TITANIUM-SOCKET-BUTTON-HD-SCREWS-GR-5-/320700132532?pt=UK_DIY_Material_Nails_Fixing_MJ&hash=item4aab37acb4

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Best thing about the screws is, they are readily avaliable and they are easily replacable. Just unscrew the old one, add locktight to the new one and screw it in!

·
Premium Member
1,405 Posts
Where is cantakerous?

We just need to add a .99 cent butane lighter to this truly great idea.

Might even keep Budoka warm in December.

·
Super Moderator
14,420 Posts
I like the idea. Now we need a video of you in action.

·
Registered
691 Posts
I thought exaust flame throwers to discourage tailgaters.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Great idea L2R, maybe I could figure out a way to fill in the gaps between my freckles:rolleyes:
Yeah, video Buzzy! Um, evening/dusk for the best effect tho.;)

·
Super Moderator
28,449 Posts
I would personally love to know how you guys find so much free time to be thinking or doing this stuff.:confused:

·
Premium Member
1,405 Posts
bad ideas don't take long.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts