Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,608 Posts
Condition is like new and the miles are good.
I'd buy it.

·
Premium Member
7,988 Posts
It looks great, but we've been "spoiled" here lately by some very good deals on GL1500s. It's a dealer, so that accounts for $1,000 over what a good private party deal could be got for. I see it's "as is", but has the dealer done anything to it but wash/wax? Are there maintenance records and can you talk with the PO (previous owner, for new folks)? Have you ridden the bike yet?

You have some advantage in that the dealer is not really going to want to carry it over winter, so he's motivated, too.

·
Administrator
29,009 Posts
On the surface looks like a nice bike. The only thing that you may want to consider is this is an Interstate Model. As such it will not have Reverse, nor a CB(that may not matter to you).

Basically the Interstate was a lower end model with less frills. My incline would be to keep searching or start haggling.

As always this is just one Ole Fossil's opinion. By the way there are "plenty" of good used wings out there.

·
Premium Member
5,432 Posts
Wow looks like a great bike , buy it up

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle

·
Premium Member
7,508 Posts
Mike, the mileage isn't a factor as this is not high mileage for a Wing. Do you like the color? Like Chopin said; the lack of a reverse is a deal breaker to me. I've owned Wings with and without and it's definately an important feature to me as I use it frequently. If you haven't backed one of these 900 pound beasts trying to tip toe it backwards you can't appreciate the value of this. If you ride with other Wings the CB is also nice but not nearly as important as reverse.

·
Registered
835 Posts
93 Goldwing -

Hey Mike, Like others have mentioned the Interstate does not have reverse. The ability to back a Goldwing out of trouble has a relatively large impact on the sale price for many experienced owners. The 1500 is an absolute dream on the road but get this thing nose down into a tight parking lot and you will have your hands full. On one overnight trip with some friends, we all had to help back an Interstate out of a parking stall after a pickup had parked in front of our bikes. Because of the fairly steep grade, our uncoordinated key stone cop efforts just about dumped the bike over.

The 1500 Goldwing engine is basically bullet proof and the 93 was the first year they used needle bearings in the rocker arms - so the mileage is really not an issue. As far as price, I agree with Tatanka that at $5K the dealer is about $1,000 high for an Interstate. There are lots of Goldwings out there with reverse and winter prices will soon be available.

Good Luck, Michael :)

·
Premium Member
24,638 Posts
Buying a used bike is always tugging at the heart strings. If the bike sings to you, it may be the one though. Take into consideration the comments and go from there.

·
Premium Member
789 Posts
That's a nice looking bike, but looks will not get you down the road. Have you seen the bike, started it and took it for a ride? I agree with the others, the biggest draw back is it is an Interstate and for the same price you'll be able to pick up an Aspencade or SE with a few more miles. Don't worry about the miles on these bikes, there good for at least 300K as long as the maintenance has been done. 93 Interstate for 5K, I bought my 98 Aspencade for 5200.00, if it were me I'd keep shopping around.

·
Registered
178 Posts
that may be true, but if you were in a need for resell at some point, the majority of GW riders are going to want reverse, not all, but most so from a resale point of view, its a slightly tougher sale as a lower end model.

·
Super Moderator
10,000 Posts
For your first Wing, it may be just what you need to get your feet wet. Like most of us, after you have one you want another. So it may be a good start.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I didn't know the Interstate didn't have reverse. I would have to re think my recommendation. I don't use it every time I back up, but it sure is nice to have when you need it. I think you can do better with your 5k.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I have owned 2 Goldwings and have never used reverse, just look at where you park.
I am a disabled Vet... reverse IS a must because of that. I have too many screws and pins in my shoulders to man handle a Goldwing backward on an incline..

Not to mention here in Wisconsin there is no way you can be sure that you will be able to park on flat ground.. If you live somewhere that is flat, then you are correct but there have been MANY times now I have had no choice but to park on an incline, even a small one, and if I had no reverse I would have been stuck.

One other point too.. if you plan on ever pulling a trailer than it can be an issue also. I have been parked in or blocked in a few times with my trailer on and had no choice but to reverse out to get clear.. Even been blocked in by other bikers - which really causes me to shake my head in wonder...

·
Administrator
29,009 Posts
found an even better deal on a 93 aspencade with 43k miles! Picking it up saturday! See my other new post to help with my questions. Thanks all!
Sounds much better. Don't want to say I told you so, but.....there are plenty of Wings out there. Glad you found one that fits the bill. Regardless of whether you use it regular or not, you will no doubt at some point be happy you have the reverse gear now.:cool:

Good Luck & be sure to post some pics of the new ride.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.