Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all-

New here and new to Goldwings in general. Just started to do my homework on making my initial Goldwing purchase.

After many many years of seeing them go by while I’ve been on almost everything BUT a Wing, and then renting one recently….I’m in, I’m getting one….but can’t commit to any purchases until probably in the December/January range.

Anyways, so after recently visiting dealers in my general area and using the internet….seems like dealers are quite heavy on Wing inventory. Is this typical??? Does Honda move that many of them per year where dealers can afford to be heavy on them (record was 6 at a big box dealer). One or two dealers in the area still had 2010 still on the floor. I’m just wondering. I’m kinda hoping it is not typical, which means I can hopefully negotiate a decent deal when it comes time to make the purchase.

They do take up a lot of real estate, plus, at such a premium cost…wondering if people are still purchasing them in droves due to current state of the economy.

Also, as much as I want to have ABS, I just can’t justifying the extra $3K to get ABS packaged with other features I don’t really want or need. Do most current owners agree in the crappy feature/pricing structure Honda has for Goldwings?

Well, back to reading up on them.

See you all around.

Regards.

·
Super Moderator
15,158 Posts
i just stopped into say hello and welcome to GWOF. also good luck with your search nuckaman

·
Premium Member
333 Posts
Hello and welcome to the GWOF
I can't help with your question about a 2012 1800, I have a 95 1500.

I'm sure someone will chime in because there are plenty of members here who have 2012's.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Welcome to the forum and while I currently own a 93 Goldwing, my budget does not allow for the purchuse of a new one. From what I gather about 09 &10 wings still on the floor here's a little info on the subject. Up to the 2010 model year, Goldwings were built here in the USA at the Marysville, Ohio plant. Then mother Honda decided to move production back to Japan for the 2012 model year. I suspect that the USA produced model was stocked up to cover the demand for 2011 since there was no production in 2011. But many consumers may have waited for the release of the 2012 revision, thus dealers still having older models in stock. Which model you choose depends on how much you want to spend vs updated styling.
For myself, I think I'd be kicking around in the corners for a USA model for a deep, deep discount. But if you are a person looking for the latest, greatest version and money is no object, then pick out a 2012. Also the color you like may not have been offered in the year you are looking at.
It took some time before I liked the styling of the 1500 over the 1200 and the 1800 didn't take as long to like.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Hi all-

New here and new to Goldwings in general. Just started to do my homework on making my initial Goldwing purchase.

After many many years of seeing them go by while I’ve been on almost everything BUT a Wing, and then renting one recently….I’m in, I’m getting one….but can’t commit to any purchases until probably in the December/January range.

Anyways, so after recently visiting dealers in my general area and using the internet….seems like dealers are quite heavy on Wing inventory. Is this typical??? Does Honda move that many of them per year where dealers can afford to be heavy on them (record was 6 at a big box dealer). One or two dealers in the area still had 2010 still on the floor. I’m just wondering. I’m kinda hoping it is not typical, which means I can hopefully negotiate a decent deal when it comes time to make the purchase.

They do take up a lot of real estate, plus, at such a premium cost…wondering if people are still purchasing them in droves due to current state of the economy.

Also, as much as I want to have ABS, I just can’t justifying the extra $3K to get ABS packaged with other features I don’t really want or need. Do most current owners agree in the crappy feature/pricing structure Honda has for Goldwings?

Well, back to reading up on them.

See you all around.

Regards.
I don't think they sell like hotcakes. And the shops around me only have 1 or 2 on the floor. in fact, my local HD dealer has more recent GWs on the showroom floor than do my local honda dealers. Trades, I guess. That said, there is a shop an hour away or so that sells nothing but Hondas- bikes, lawn mowers, generators. They are known for GW service, yet only carry 2-4 new ones at any one time.

GWs are the only non-sportbike Honda makes with all the bells and whistles - self-canceling signals, tach, clock, fuel gauage, NAVI, heat, etc. So, it's no wonder they have a tiered approach to built-in options with the Wing.

Of the tourers that aren't BMW & sport tourer types, I'd think Honda would be right up there with the best selling touring machines. But what percentage of potential buyers can swing payments for a $30K bike or are experienced enouhg to ride a bike as big as the Wing or even want a bike as big as the Wing to ride around town? Of course, I do see a lot of them as well as HD tourers riding around town, so I guess it just depends on the local market and ahether the dealer is known as a volume dealer where people fly in to buy bikes because the deals are so good.

Anyway, I wish you well in the hunt, which can be one of the most satisfying experiences of owning a bike :)

·
Registered
674 Posts
I think Wing sales are directly related to the area you live in, when I bought my 2012, they had a guy come in just after I signed on the dotted line that wanted my Wing bad. man he was pissed as he spoke with a different sales person whom told him that it was still for sale. so he made a two hour trip to buy it.
in fact they only had one new Wing there at the time. I had bought a 2010 St1300 about a year before the Wing and their inventory had completely turned over a few times in that time frame. I live In Florida so we get to ride year long.
most of you poor are lucky to ride a few months out of the year so I don't think any motorcycle shop would sell as much as we do in Florida or California for example.

·
Administrator
15,288 Posts
I bought my 2010 in Nov. 2009. That time of year, while some ride year round down here, others rarely ride and bike sales slow down. I found a cheaper price but I would have had to travel (fuel, lodging, meals, wife to drive car back, etc.) so I used that price to talk my local dealer down. He came down close enough to make me happy and I use them for service and parts to keep them happy. Not that the Gold Wing has needed any repairs, but the Yamaha is in there right now for a mysterious oil leak.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I don't think they sell like hotcakes. And the shops around me only have 1 or 2 on the floor. in fact, my local HD dealer has more recent GWs on the showroom floor than do my local honda dealers. Trades, I guess. That said, there is a shop an hour away or so that sells nothing but Hondas- bikes, lawn mowers, generators. They are known for GW service, yet only carry 2-4 new ones at any one time.

GWs are the only non-sportbike Honda makes with all the bells and whistles - self-canceling signals, tach, clock, fuel gauage, NAVI, heat, etc. So, it's no wonder they have a tiered approach to built-in options with the Wing.

Of the tourers that aren't BMW & sport tourer types, I'd think Honda would be right up there with the best selling touring machines. But what percentage of potential buyers can swing payments for a $30K bike or are experienced enouhg to ride a bike as big as the Wing or even want a bike as big as the Wing to ride around town? Of course, I do see a lot of them as well as HD tourers riding around town, so I guess it just depends on the local market and ahether the dealer is known as a volume dealer where people fly in to buy bikes because the deals are so good.

Anyway, I wish you well in the hunt, which can be one of the most satisfying experiences of owning a bike :)
im in nc and while looking myself, saw the same thing as gwtrike here. maybe its a regional thing.

·
Premium Member
24,643 Posts
I'd say very local area related as to sales volumes. I'd also suspect the retail levels are off the norm due to the economy as well. M/C sales are down for us this last couple years, but it's due more to lack of availble inventory than lack of $$ in the buyers' wallets.. Keep searching, you'll find one that sings to you.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.