Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I am new to this site...I own a 1981 Gold Wing Interstate Touring Bike fully saddled...thinking about purchasing a new wing, ('81 starting to show its wear and tear...yet it started again after a long winter)...three questions...1) Would I be better tearing the '81 bike apart and selling it for parts (is there a market) or should I just trade it in...they will give me $1500 for it (its in great shape..but I want to go cross country...not sure if it would make it)? 2) Does any one know of a good site that reviews the '09/'10 GoldWings...I have to admit..nervous about spending $24K when I have a bike that does run (go GW)...any pros/cons to the new bikes...how are the displays holding up... 3) Am I the only one who is short such that the air foyal in the new windshields would bug me and block my view....does honda have a replacement windshield...or better yet...riders who have upgraded to a new bike with the air foyal windshield, do you like it or wish it was not installed...I hate to spend $24K to only find the windsield bugs the heck out of me....

Any feed back would be appreciated....:)

Mark...The Black Sheep of the Family (all other family members own Harleys):(

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Hi Mark and welcome to the site. I ride a 2009 and it's terrific. Not sure what you mean by the windshield 'foyal'; are you referring to the air-vent, or the Hondaline windshield side deflectors? If it's the vent, I wouldn't want to be without it, especially on real hot days. I've only heard of a couple owners with display woes, and some of it could be learning to use the mode and display settings; they can be a bit daunting at first. As for your '81, have you ever thought about keeping it around, maybe as a restore project or custom job? I for one wouldn't part it out, and I'd sell it as is privately over trading it in. The dealer is going to lo-ball you on the price so you'd get better value in your pocket selling it yourself. This is particularly true if you aren't strapped for cash to buy the new bike. There are quite a few buyers out there looking for that particular age machine to restore or customize. Best wishes on your decisions. As for you being the "black sheep", the rest of the flock is going to be trying to keep up with you from now on!

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
If you don't want the hassle of selling your bike than trade it in, but you could probably get $1,000 more if you sell it outright. There are some great deals on lightly used 08 and 09 Gold Wings now from private parties, that might be a good way for you to go.

·
Super Moderator
9,851 Posts
Do some research and you will find some good deals like Joe said. I got over $4k off MSRP on my 09 and you can get even more off of leftover 08's. Base models have just about everything you would need for a great cross country trip. Good luck and ride safe..

1 - 4 of 4 Posts