Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a returning rider (had a 73 Yamaha and an 81 Virago) and looking at purchasing an older goldwing to see if I still like riding as much as I remember. I have located 2 85 goldwings in the Twin Cities with under 50,000 miles and an looking for advice on questions to ask the owner(s) before purchasing one. Are there any maintainence items that should have been done or would be upcoming? An Interstate has receipts for a new timing belt, antifreeze change, drivetrain fluid change, and a shifter seal replacement. The other is a SEi. Neither has a radio. Are there any common electrical or mechanical issues I should look for? As anxious as I am to ride I would probably overlook something.

Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
1 Posts
New Goldwing Purchase

If you purchase a new Wing I would suggest you check out the intercom before you purchase it. We purchased a 2009 Goldwing on March 11 and the new helmets and J&M head sets came in on March 24. When we pluged in the riders head set there was a whining sound in the head set when the bike is running. Honda says some of the bikes have that noise and some don't and they may not be able to fix the problem. I told them it has to be fixed and the dealer is now trying to find a solution. I find this unbelieveable that Honda would let a whine not be fixed in a new bike.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the tip

Thanks for the tip. As stated I am looking at a used bike so the 2009 information is not what I need, but perhaps could be for someone looking at a new bike.

·
Super Moderator
15,241 Posts
hello and welcome to GWOF tchunting. when looking at an older wing ask about the stator, it is a known weak spot on 1200 wings. also sak about the timing belts. if they haven't been changed do change them. check the frame around the mounting points of both kickstands for rust

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for help

thanks for the information. I did find a 85 that is in great shape and purchased it today. Next up will be the attempt to find shop for the timing belt here in Minneapolis.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts