Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a long time dirt bike rider, I own an '07 CRF450R but my wife and I are looking to buy a Goldwing to "trike". I'm looking for an ABS model from '02-'07. A couple of questions I have are, what is considered good mileage on the bike and opinions on ABS and what kind of fuel mileage is the average. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
39 Posts
trike...

Hey, if you're young enough to be beat up by a CRF450, do you need a trike? Just kidding...! Gas milage on a trike probably will be around the 35 mpg mark. I don't know what you mean by good milage on a wing? You can't wear one out, right? As far as ABS brakes that's opioniated. On trikes they usually install the rear sensor on the driveshaft, not the brakes or wheels themselves. Riding under normal circumstances you wouldn't know any differences between ABS or non ABS models. ABS isn't needed until somebody screws up. Since you can't control everybody? Hmmm... how's that for a nonanswer? I hate them on my truck. A Goldwing, I don't know. Good luck with the trike. I would recommend you to test ride them all before buying one. There are some definitely better then others out there. Enjoy the road!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! Personally I would rather be on two wheels but my wife is petrified of motorcycles and wants the trike for stability. I look at it this way, I feel like i'm riding a motorcycle, somewhat, and she gets to ride with me. Again, she's persistant on the ABS, doesn't matter much to me. Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Pib

We all understand how important it is to make the PIB (person in back) happy and comfortable. Lucky for you she is giving up some of her fears to ride with you. Remember to "Test" ride all the trikes, not just around the block, go put 20 + miles on them. Some of them are better, especially for the PIB. You don't want to beat her up. Also, statically, dirt bike riders are the safest riding group on the road. That should bring her comfort. Good luck again...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks again! I found a 2002 trike with 77,000 miles and they are asking $24,350. I've "driven" it and it seems to run and ride nice but I'm still not sure if that is a good price considering the miles. Any help?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Trike

Opinions are just opinions. I think it is a little high. What brand, how many accesserories, EZ steering, and over all shape all come in to play. You can buy a new one probably around $33,000 + with the nice stuff on the trike. Another option to think of is maybe looking for a lower mileage Goldwing and getting it converted. Some of the trike companies have made some good improvements the last couple of years. (Of course we don't know when the 02 was converted.) Then you would end up with the latest and greatest. Did the 02 have the ABS you wanted? Did you try them out? Good luck again. Spring is COMING!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The trike kit is a Roadsmith with all options but the auxiliary fuel tank. The shop that did the conversion is selling it. I did find out that the ABS is a moot point since it's disconnected and can't be used with the Roadsmith kit. It's a really clean trike but I think i'm going to go with a newer bike to convert.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I know that California sidecar trikes still ultilize the abs system. Maybe others?

·
Registered
20 Posts
We triked an 05 Wing in August of 07 for my wife. We chose the Roadsmith for several reasons which inclued:

Cost
Local Support
Longer wheelbase
Auxillary feul tank
trunk size (My wife needs room)

We had in done in a week at Comeplete Cycle and Trike in Rome, Georgia. Harold the owner took delivery of the Wing from us on a Sunday afternoon (he was closed but opened so we could drop off the bike) and he had it ready to go on Thursday.
The conversion was about $14000 but we added the fuel tank, belly pans, running boards, new windshield, and a EZ steer kit. We got the bike for about $13000 so we got an 05 for just under $27000 in 07. Harold has complete trtikes or will do yours.

http://www.completecycleandtrikes.com/

The added 5 gallons of fuel has been great and has allowed her some really extended driving range. The trike gets in the low to mid 30s when cruising at 65 or below. The mpg drops off greatly above 75-80 mph.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Trike

Thanks Harry! I'm thinking the Roadsmith will be the best for me. I'm looking for that "one" Goldwing right now. We have a local company that installs the Roadsmith kit so that won't be a problem.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Gold Wing Trike

Purchased my Gold Wing trike May of last year. The coversion is California Side Car, was toss up between it and Road Smith. Slight difference in ride. You asked about mpg. Riding with my wife we average around 37 to 40 mpg, runing about 69/70 mph. This does vary in mountians some. Took 1300 mile trip to Colorado Springs pulling trailer and averaged 34 mpg at 70 mpg. So you can see it does vary just like driving an auto. We usually shift around 2500 to 3000 rpm. We throughly enjoy our trike.
Good triking

1 - 12 of 12 Posts