Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New member here and a wing rider wannabe but have questions. I currently ride an '05 VTX 1300R I turned into a bagger and really love it but wife and I have started two-up riding a lot now. I always said for the 50th birthday I would have a wing. Well two weeks ago while on a ride wifey surprises me with "lets go to the dealership and look at wings". All I could think is WOW!! Now I really don't want a new one because I don't for one like the new look of the trunk and bags (my opinion) and really don't want to spend that much. So depending on the year and shape of an older wing say '05 thru 2010 what is really a lot of miles to be concerned with. We checked out a used one that day but it was an '01 with 54,900 miles for $12,500. I know a lot of variables to consider just asking for some insight from wing owners. Thanks for any help or suggestions.

·
Premium Member
23,771 Posts
I came off a VTX1300C in 09. I would probably look to stay with an 05 and up. Frame issues were a problem up until 04. Check Craig's List to get an idea of what sellers are asking for various Wings in different areas. I have 25,000 miles on mine and I've only had it since November, 09. My riding bud has a '10 and he has 45,000 miles already. Wings have touring miles on them.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I bought my first 03 wing with 120000 miles onit Rode it for three years,put on 15000 miles and traded for one with 29000, but i have been told the will run well over 200000. Got what i paid for it in trade. Mine is converted to a trike from roadmaster, Wife and I love it.

·
Premium Member
629 Posts
I would not worry about the milage too much. Make sure the used wing you are looking at has had good regular maintance done to it. Make sure the wing has not sat in a barn or garage foe 3 years before being sold. Wings like to ride.

BTW my wing is a 97 GL 1500 with 198,000 miles on it and still going strong...

Ride Safe Always !

·
Super Moderator
9,851 Posts
You may be able to find new 2008-2010 Wings at reduced prices. You still get the 3 year warranty and can purchase another 4 years for about $500. Check the web, there are still some out there. Good luck and ride safe...

·
Banned
3,204 Posts

Welcome to the forum from Seattle.

Good luck finding that special wing. It is worth the search!

I highly recommend the GWRRA groups (Goldwing Road Riders Association) to find folks who ride wings in your area. When you attend chapter meetings you will find friendly folks that ride the same motorcycle you do, and they know their motorcycle.

You can find a local chapter by going their website: http://www.gwrra.org

·
Registered
119 Posts
We bought an '08 and saved about 10K over a new one, but looked at the new ones carefully and multiple times. My understanding is there is very little difference between '06-'08. Like others said, regular maintenance is the important thing, not necessarily mileage.

Welcome to the forums!

·
Registered
6,734 Posts
I also started with a 2003 VTX S and rode two up with the wife till she decided she wanted more comfort, bought a 2003 wing ,now she's happy and so am I.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the input guys. We have decided to try to find a well taken care of pre-owned somewhere from '05 to '10. Sounds like they're pretty much like any Honda dependable and reliable as long as they're taken care of and mileage is just a number. Do all my own maintenance on the VTX so would like to be able to do the Wing maintenance as well.

·
Premium Member
7,205 Posts
I came off a VTX1300C in 09. I would probably look to stay with an 05 and up. Frame issues were a problem up until 04. Check Craig's List to get an idea of what sellers are asking for various Wings in different areas. I have 25,000 miles on mine and I've only had it since November, 09. My riding bud has a '10 and he has 45,000 miles already. Wings have touring miles on them.
I keep hearing about the frame issues of the early 1800's. Is this something I will notice my 02. I am deeply concerned but haven't seen any problems that I would recognize. Runs and rides perfectly.....for now.:confused:

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
EFINREF, The frame issue is a recall and Honda paid for welding. Visit the service department and have them check your SN to see if you are all ready welded. Not all bikes needed welding even in the affected years, just certain numbers. If youre not welded ask if Honda still pays. It an all day deal, the weld has to cure. Mine was welded.

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
Hi Part

Thanks for all the input guys. We have decided to try to find a well taken care of pre-owned somewhere from '05 to '10. Sounds like they're pretty much like any Honda dependable and reliable as long as they're taken care of and mileage is just a number. Do all my own maintenance on the VTX so would like to be able to do the Wing maintenance as well.
Mileage is just a number but with a good search you ought to be able to find one below 40,000 miles.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Good luck in your search parttimr, and welcome to the site. EFINREF check your VIN sticker for that punchmark to indicate the frame recal being done.

·
Premium Member
127 Posts
Look for a good one with not too many miles and you'll never look back.......Enjoy your new Wing........

1 - 14 of 14 Posts