Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am the proud owner of a 1981 Yamaha Maxim xj650 that I just rode from Ohio (near the Mich. Border) to Biketoberfest in Daytona (2500 miles on a 30 yr old 650 cruiser with the wife on the back) I have put ~20000 miles on her in the past 3 years

After that I decided I want comfort! I cannot afford new, but I really want a wing. I found an 83 1100 localy on craigslist I am to look at tomorrow. Supposedly the owner is too small for the bike. I don't know what mileage is on the bike yet.

Three questions... (or about)

1. About what is an 83 worth in good condition?

1a. Anything in particular I should be looking at?

2. Can most Goldwings that age handle 2500+ mile trips?

3. I am 5' 4" 190lbs. Am I going to be too small for this? I've never ridden a wing, sat on one a few times but never drove.

Thanks for any answers up front. I really want to look at this and possibly get it tomorrow.

·
Super Moderator
28,431 Posts
Welcome Dennis, I'll try to help.

1. 1.5k to 3k depending on condition

2. General Condition, Tires & maintenance records if available

3. In good condition NO problem

4. As long as you can get your feet down & you feel comfortable again No problem.

Good Luck. Kick the tires a bit there are lots of Wings out there & I always subscribed to the theory that if the Bike doesn't sing to you then it's not meant to be.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
fossil92 is pretty much bang on with his reply. All you have to remember about Wings is they were designed from the get go to be high mile bikes, something no other bike was purposely engineered for until Honda changed the rules. If you pick up an 1100, try and find one that has been ridden regularly and properly maintained. That way all the hoses and rubber parts should be sound and the fluids and seals should be good. It should be fairly obvious if there are weaknesses in the bike due to neglect or lack of use. What's the seat height on your Maxim 30.5"? Should be not be much of a stretch on the 1100 at 31.3" for you to put your feet down. Yes it's heavier, but lots of the weight is carried down low so it won't take long to get used to it since the Maxim is a tad top heavy.

·
Super Moderator
9,843 Posts
There are a lot of great older wings out there for sale. Hopefully this will be one of them. Ask about the stator, if it's been replaced and when. That seems to be the biggest problem with the pre-1500 bikes. Also remember it's a 27 year old bike and if there is a problem, parts may be a challange to find.

But, like Fossil says, "if it sings to you go for it". Ride safe and let us know how you make out..

·
Premium Member
127 Posts
I had an "81" 1100 and I loved it,,,,,If you get one in good shape you'll be happy with it. Good luck...........I also had a 650 Maxium, I liked that until I crashed it. Whew, don't want to do that again if I can help it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts