Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

looking to buy first GW

2K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  budoka 
#1 ·
looking at a 1987 GL1200 that is in what I would consider to be good shape. It has 18K for miles, and needs new front and back tires. They are asking $3,600. Blue book says $3,250. What would be a reasonable price, and are there any concerns with that particular model year?

#3 ·
First, welome to the forum from Pa. Stators were a problem with most Wings prior to 1988 when they changed the charging system. Other than that, most early model Wings held up pretty well. Sounds like this one was not on the road very much with 18k miles. Does the owner have documentation on maint and things like that??

I would start off around $3,000 since you need to replace the tires and that will run about $300-$400 and see where it goes from there...

#4 ·
Don't know how much you want to invest in this after it is all said and done.
Another factor is whether you will be doing the work or having it done.

Unless the owner is convincing and has documents, you should factor in and perform replacing all fluides and rubber and that includes timing belts.

If I remember right, about $1000 for the stator replacement if it is original.

Not knocking the bike. Sounds sweet and there are many on the road. Just wanted to give you the backside after purchase that there are things to do and cost along with it that might affect what you think is a fair purchase price. If these things have been kept up, then it is obviously worth more.

Unless this bike is pristene and all this has been done for you, TWW's advise sounds about right. 3k is a fair price.

#6 ·
thanks for the input. I am currently riding a 1980 CX 500 custom. My dad bought it new and rode it for years. I was visiting with him tomight and he brought up the stator problem and said he had to have it replaced early on. It still runs well and has 65K.

#8 ·
Welcome Iceman, pretty much agree with what Two Wheel and L2R have said.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.