Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really want to buy a honda goldwing and I am presently looking at a 1990 1500cc goldwing. I can't afford an 1800 cc yet but hopefully will move into one in the future.
Any thoughts on whether 1990 was a good year.
Is there any things I should be aware of in buying this bike.
Does anyone know how often the timing belt should be changed on this bike.
I would appreciate any help.
I am 51 years old and new to the sport. I am really excited
about getting out on the road on a goldwing.
I have been riding a lot in the last 3 months and have taken
a motorcyle safety course already

Cheerio,
Keith

·
Registered
263 Posts
Welcome from Florida Keith. Not trying to rain on your parade here,but you are saying you only have 3months riding experience? Just thinking of your safety.What are you riding now? I think others will chime in here and agree you need to gain much more experience before getting on a bike that is this big and heavy,although Wings are very forgiving,a small screw up could have disastrous results. If you are going to go for it anyway,does this one have reverse? If not,my opinion is to keep looking.As far as the T.belts,if not already done,then that is a priority. Any maint.records?

·
Super Moderator
15,237 Posts
hello and welcome to GWOF keith

·
Premium Member
576 Posts
Welcome Keith, good luck on your search.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your input.
I have been riding a 650 Suzuki Vstrom.
I appreciate your concern.
I have become quite comfortable on the
Suzuki but it feels more top heavy than
The 1500 goldwings I have tried.
The suzuki is 480 pounds and the golwing
is around 800 but because of the low centre
of gravity it feels lighter.
I want something really comfortable for long trips.
I live in a rural area where the roads are not
busy.
I have operated lots of things in my life(including skid steers).
I am a very careful driver and I will take it slow and easy.
It took me two months to get over 50 miles an hour.
Your advice about reverse is a good one.

Cheerio,
Keith

·
Registered
33 Posts
HI Keith..

I just bought a 1990 GL1500 SE. It only had 84000 km on it. (52500 miles)

I have done 2000km on it in last two weeks and I love it. Its a great bike.
I have reverse on it and it is superbe for comfort, I have moved up from Virago 1100 to this.

My only problem is that it is very hard to get used to at low speed or higher speed in big curves... I have to slow down in those and be very careful on the slow one.

but I would not go back to virago..

Good luck..

Paul

·
Super Moderator
7,664 Posts
Welcome and greetings from Florida, there are a lot of good 1500's for sale. I've seen a number of them on craigslist. Someone has one on craigslist in Ocala, Gainesville or North Central Florida (don't remember which area) for $4900.00 complete with a Voyager a 1996 in white.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Glad to hear you have a good head Keith.Sounds like you will be fine.As Trikelady mentioned,there are lots of great 1500's out there,patience will definately be rewarded.Good luck in your search for the one that calls to you.Ken '94SE Pearl White

·
Registered
835 Posts
Welcome from Canada Keith. I have a 91 1500 with about 85k miles. As drm said, they can be a handful, specially at slow speeds with 2 up. Make sure its got good rubber and do a little practicing in parking lots, etc.
Ride safe,
Strat

·
Registered
19 Posts
Welcome I ecoh what everyone else said.Take your time in your search you want be sorry. Goldwings are the only way to go if you feel comfertable in Touring bikes. Good luck.Doug

·
Registered
24 Posts
Good morning all, so what would be the secret at handling this beauty at low and high speeds on curves. there is always something new to learn from those with more experience. thank you and ride safe

·
Super Moderator
9,847 Posts
1500 were made for 13 years and were proven to be very dependable. Lots of parts and after market stuff still available. If the bike has been properly maintained you should not have problems..

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hi sir, thank you so much for your reply, i took this beauty for a ride this afternoon, it was so smooth and a comfort to ride It has been well taken care of and should the lord allow me, i'll pick it up tomorrow and look forward to many years of enjoyment. One question though, can the handle bars be raised, i felt a little cramped on the saddle and felt they were a little low. Again, thank you and may you have a great day, ride safe

1 - 13 of 13 Posts