Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to the "wing world" and am looking for an 85-86'. Any thoughts on what to look for or trouble spots to inspect?

I have my eye on an 86' SE, should I steer clear of the fuel injection? I'm concerned that I may have problems finding parts for the FI, or maybe computer problems later down the road.

Also noticed that the Aspencade has a digital dash, any problems with these?

Thanks for the help.

Briley.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
If you are looking at a 1200 than the SE is the one to look at. The 1200's had problems with the stator, and requires engine removal to replace, but the SE had a better stator and very little trouble, as for the digital dash, your looking at a 25 year old bike, and parts for a 25 year old might be hard to find, depending on how many miles is on the bike, the condition and care that it had and the price would be the deciding factor,

·
Super Moderator
11,812 Posts
If you are looking to buy a 1200, the '87 is the best year. Better stator, 500 watt as opposed to the earlier 200 watt versions. The seat is also better. There were a few other upgrades, I just can't recall all of them. The digital dash is like any other electronics, it can fail. I had one that was bad when I bought the bike, $35.00 on ebay and everything works as it should.

·
Registered
470 Posts
I have to call you on this one Cantankerous; The specs in my Honda service manual say the 84~87 Standard, Interstate & Aspencade stator output =14V 360W @5000 rpm. The 85 SEi & LTD I 'think" are 430W.

·
Super Moderator
11,812 Posts
I have to call you on this one Cantankerous; The specs in my Honda service manual say the 84~87 Standard, Interstate & Aspencade stator output =14V 360W @5000 rpm. The 85 SEi & LTD I 'think" are 430W.

Wow, I must have been asleep! The correct rating for '84 is .36 kw or 360 watts. I did, however read that the output was raised on the '87 models. Maybe it just used the same as the SEi and the LTD.

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
ah joe the se-i / ltd had a higher output stator ( 500 for injected wings vs the 360 on wings with carbs ) but they both have the same problem with stators going out

1 - 6 of 6 Posts