Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to purchase my first Goldwing and have a few questions. My budget permits a $1,500-$2,500 bike, this puts me in the 1980-1984 range locally. A couple of issues I would appreciate input on; the wiring harness and David Campbell upgrade and a chattering clutch at idle. Age/mileage are not issues, as I am a decent mechanic. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Chris

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
Chris, I like many others here owned (some still do) a 1200 and they are still a good bike. Not sure about the wire harness you mentioned or the David Campbell. I did experience some clutch chatter on mine but only in extreme heat in California and slow city traffic, never at idle. The stator is the most common ailment on 1200's. As it is an older bike you're loking at, regular bike issues will be prevalent: seals, hoses, bearings (not usually engine/crank) and shocks/fork springs, and timing belts. Parts for 100s are fairly available (afaik) but the 1100s are getting harder to find, but not impossible. Good luck in your quest.

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
hello dave, welcome to GWOF.all the parts that campbell sells can be purchased cheaper at the hardware or auto parts store and it will not improve the stator

·
Premium Member
11,008 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Down Under, Eric

·
Super Moderator
9,855 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Pa. Lots of good used Wings out there in your price range. Enjoy the site and ride safe. Post some pics of your new bike when you find it....

·
Super Moderator
11,818 Posts
Welcome!

You should be able to pick up a decent GL1200 in your price range. I own one and sold one to a good friend, we both love them. On the stator wiring, make sure the plug beside the battery has been eliminated.

·
Premium Member
127 Posts
Welcome,,,,,I've never owned a 1200, but I did have a 1000 and an 1100,,,,,,,,,,loved them both..Good luck,,,,,,,,,,,Dick

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
Welcome from Sth. Mississippi.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts