Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to fill in some more states on my map. You can see in my sig what states I have ridden in. Without traveling too far, does anyone have any suggestions for cool things to see, while visiting some more states?

·
Super Moderator
7,606 Posts
Well, I may be a bad example as I don't get out much.
But I can tell you I have ridden coast to coast twice in Florida and all over. I can tell you, the is the Kennedy Space Center, Daytona Speedway and a bunch of attractions, visit in October for Biketoberfest in Daytona Beach.
See proof on map.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
LOL! Well one thing is for sure, if I came down there, I could fill in a whole bunch of my states! My wife lived down there for while before we got married.

·
Super Moderator
7,606 Posts
You'd get to fill in these other states take I-10 along the Gulf Coast.
You wouldn't even have to go through Georgia.

Attachments

·
Registered
112 Posts
Trip help??? YES

Ok I gotta know are you camping or motelin it. Is there a time limit, number of miles. Alot to consider...The wife and I just finished a 3000 mile trip on 2 bikes w/a trlr load of camping. And we never touched an interstate. Oh and whats wrong w/GA I live in Ellijay, GA and we have some great mountain roads and history...If your into seeing things on back roads thats our chosen way to travel. Just to get an idea check out our Facebook at Kelli Blohm. We had a great time and a fantastic adventure, I spent 30 years over the road as a truckdriver and believe me it is the journey, hour by hour and no real plans, day to day...Since you live up north in the middle you have the option of east or west and way deep south. Let me know how much time and how you like to travel day to day and I'll do my best to suggest. We are already planning our next long haul to Washington state and back the long way.

·
Administrator
29,001 Posts
OK there B.D. I've got something for you.

Right around 1100 miles one way & gets you 4 states. You hitch a ride on the Eric/Vanessa train east in Aug. catching them in Ill, gets you Indiana, Ohio & finally PA. Join the festivities, have a blast & if you have the time dip down a grab 5 more Md, W.V., Va, Kentucky & Missouri!

How do you like them Apples?:D:cool:;)

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the input so far. I really dont have much as far as plans yet, I just want to try and ccross some more states off my map. My wife has her own bike, but not sure if she would ride her own or ride on the back of the wing. (she likes the radio) If we go anywhere this summer, it will probably be just a long weekend as we dont have much vacation time left. We would be staying in hotels.

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OK there B.D. I've got something for you.

Right around 1100 miles one way & gets you 4 states. You hitch a ride on the Eric/Vanessa train east in Aug. catching them in Ill, gets you Indiana, Ohio & finally PA. Join the festivities, have a blast & if you have the time dip down a grab 5 more Md, W.V., Va, Kentucky & Missouri!

How do you like them Apples?:D:cool:;)
I must have missed it, what is the Eric/Vanessa train?ounds like a good trip.

·
Administrator
29,001 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,999 Posts
Hey Minnesota Neighbor,

You need North Dakota, right? Check out Theodore Roosevelt National Park around Medora, ND in the west. And Dickenson to Williston on the right road takes you through some amazing rock formations and excellent Wing roads. It's not fascinating from Fargo to Medora/Dickenson, but once you're there it's cool.

Another one that my beloved wife of 30 years (on Thursday) and I hope to make this fall is from Minnesota through Wisconsin and the Upper Peninsula of Michigan to visit Mackinaw Island, though Tatanka will not be allowed there, only humans and horses. Visited there when I was a boy and want to see it again. Have fun!

Kevin

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey Minnesota Neighbor,

You need North Dakota, right? Check out Theodore Roosevelt National Park around Medora, ND in the west. And Dickenson to Williston on the right road takes you through some amazing rock formations and excellent Wing roads. It's not fascinating from Fargo to Medora/Dickenson, but once you're there it's cool.

Another one that my beloved wife of 30 years (on Thursday) and I hope to make this fall is from Minnesota through Wisconsin and the Upper Peninsula of Michigan to visit Mackinaw Island, though Tatanka will not be allowed there, only humans and horses. Visited there when I was a boy and want to see it again. Have fun!

Kevin
Thanks! My Son lives in GoodRich ND. And I have been out to Dickenson for one of my buddies wedding. Didnt get to do much sight seeing that time tho.

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks! I was just reading the itinerary, and about the only days that would work for us is the weekend of the 18th, and it looks like they will be very close to us those days. Will have to see if we can make it work, even if it was just to go have lunch or something.

·
Administrator
15,288 Posts
I have always wanted to ride US 2 from the Mackinaw Bridge west to the end in Washington. You could ride it to Glacier National Park and ride the Going to the Sun Road which might be a little longer than you were thinking of. But if you have all the adjoining states colored then you gotta start planning longer rides!

In north Colorado the Cache la Poudre Canyon which is Hwy 14 out of Fort Collins into Walden would be a great ride. From there you can loop south on 125 to US 34 through Rocky Mountain National Park.

A ride along the Mississippi and Ohio Rivers would also be good. I’ve ridden along the Ohio in Indiana and Illinois a little and the roads were great. There is a B&B in Elizabethtown, IL that I know my wife would like. I’m sure there are others.

Google Map is my friend. I use it daily to see route distances, places to stay and eat.

·
Premium Member
16,742 Posts
You could hook up with Eric and Vanessa Train in Kalispell, Mt. And join in on the West Side Meet and Greet.
When you get time look into the Robertson's Patio or Deck in NorthWest Washington. Hear it's a nice place. :eek::rolleyes:

·
Administrator
29,001 Posts
You could hook up with Eric and Vanessa Train in Kalispell, Mt. And join in on the West Side Meet and Greet.
When you get time look into the Robertson's Patio or Deck in NorthWest Washington. Hear it's a nice place. :eek::rolleyes:
Stealing potential attendees are we now Ron Robertson?:eek: ;)

Seriously if that works for B.D. that would be cool. :D

·
Premium Member
16,742 Posts
Stealing potential attendees are we now Ron Robertson?:eek: ;)

OK, now you've gone and hurt my feelings :(
Besides I would only do that if I thought I could.:rolleyes:
:D
What ever works out I'm sure you'd be very welcome either place.
Don't let the crazy's lead you a stray Big Guy.

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Good news, sounds like I will be meeting up with Eric and Vanessa the weekend of the 18th! Have not worked all the details out yet, but he sent me a PM saying they could detour, and come right thru Austin. Have to talk to him more, but I am thinking that maybe if they stay in Austin, I would ride with him for a while on Sunday to Peoria. (then I could cross off one more state too ;-) That is the only time that I have free around that time, as I have to be in Duluth starting the 22nd or 23rd for a wedding. Either way, it will be good to finally meet some one from this great forum. Does anyone know if he will be riding with anyone while coming thru this area?

·
Administrator
29,001 Posts
B.D. not 100% sure but I believe Eric & Vanessa will be by themselves at that juncture. They are scheduled to leave Ron & Betty somewhere around Yellowstone. Then from what I remember the next place they were going to pick someone up was when the Doc & Bettyboop meet with them somewhere in Illinois. At least that's what I seem to recall?

·
Premium Member
24,643 Posts
Plans and more plans...love it!

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I only wish I had the time to go to one of the meet and greets, and meet more of you.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts