Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, everyone. I am new here. And looking to get a GW, I currently have a VTX 1300 bagger. I have enjoyed the many many miles of the VTX, but I have this "winter bug" of looking for a bigger touring bike. I have been with honda's for 25yrs and never will go else where. Anyway, Looking to learn more about these wings!!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
1500. the newer 1800 are probably alittle out of my price range. I'm still researching the years of the 1500 and 1800's. Like what year did the 1500 start? I am looking for info on radio's/XM radio hookup. I have Alpine XM on my VTX 1300. and will never go back to regular radio.

·
Registered
9,536 Posts
You can't go wrong GWBob I have been on a Wing from 1979 and they just keep getting better, go with it you love it.

·
Registered
9,536 Posts
The 1500 was from 1988 untill 2000

·
Premium Member
24,123 Posts
1500. the newer 1800 are probably alittle out of my price range. I'm still researching the years of the 1500 and 1800's. Like what year did the 1500 start? I am looking for info on radio's/XM radio hookup. I have Alpine XM on my VTX 1300. and will never go back to regular radio.
Hahaha. Once you had (( XM )) you can never go back. What's your price range ?

·
Super Moderator
15,167 Posts
hello gwbob, welcome to GWOF

·
Super Moderator
10,004 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Lots of good info on here..

·
Registered
44 Posts
Goldwing 101

Hello, everyone. I am new here. And looking to get a GW, I currently have a VTX 1300 bagger. I have enjoyed the many many miles of the VTX, but I have this "winter bug" of looking for a bigger touring bike. I have been with honda's for 25yrs and never will go else where. Anyway, Looking to learn more about these wings!!
Welcome aboard and here is a link to all things historic re Goldwings.

http://www.goldwingfacts.com/goldwinghistory.htm

·
Super Moderator
7,611 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum.
You never know someone here may have a nice Wing for sale.

·
Premium Member
24,630 Posts
Howdy and welcome. I'd start with a '95 or so SE and go from there depending on your allocated funds. The later model 1500's are about as good as it gets for reliability and longevity and reasonable price.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks everyone for the info. I found one on CL, '97 aspencade, with 79K miles, red, excel cond. for $6500.

Thats about what I'm looking for.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Since its winter now, I am just looking for now. Until maybe march-april '13. I still have to sell my VTX bagger. The one that catches my eye is on CL a few hundred miles away. Heck the seller might be a member here. I haven't contacted him yet. Like I said just looking for now.

Here's the CL ad link.

http://frederick.craigslist.org/mcy/3428093500.html

I like the color.

·
Super Moderator
12,270 Posts
I would be leery of that bike. Why is it missing the front rotor cover?

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
Welcome, you can find early 1800 Wings for under $10,000. Not a bad deal. A lot more bike that the 1500 wing. But if the 1500 is in your price range it's still a great bike, just don't ride an 1800 first.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Doesn't look too bad for a single pic. I don't know how rotor covers hold up in MD, but mine got plastic rust on them so I had painted them to cover it up. Too cheap last few years to buy new ones for my 93.

·
Premium Member
592 Posts
Wings are known for a very long and trouble free life span ,some like the 1200 had stator problem but that's about it. the 1500 and the 1800 are the better unit JMHO and for the most part trouble free. I am riding my 2nd wing and I still see my 1st wing rolling down the interstate with the happy new owner.

·
Premium Member
1,128 Posts
I sold my VTX 1300 R in 2009 when I bought my 2005 Wing. The 1300 was a good ride for short trips, but no comparison to the Wing on the road.

·
Registered
316 Posts
GWBob first welcome to the forum its a great place. I found my 1990 anniversary addition with tons of extras and fancy pin striping- at leas a grand worth for way less than 5 grand with only 34000 miles. It looks like it just rolled out of the factory. Hold out and get the deal there are plenty out there to be had.:):D

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.