Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I will get right to it. I have had 6 bikes in my life and my last two bikes have been ST1300's. I love that bike. When I moved back to Buffalo, NY we discovered that the bike and the boat competed for the same short season. The wife suggested that we sell the bike in favor of using the boat more. Well, after two years she has said that she wants us to get another bike again.

So, that leads me here. I am trying to do some research here since I am thinking of getting a Gold Wing in place of a third ST. Does anyone have any advice they can give (i.e., buy new vs. buy used, 2012 issues, etc.).

I look forward to learning a ton from all of you. It will truly help me make my decision.

Thanks to all in advance,

Shawn

·
Premium Member
7,121 Posts
Hello Shawn and welcome to the GWOF......First off, I agree, I love the ST1300. Incredible bike. However, What the ST doesn't give you, the Wing will. Your wife will appreciate the comfort of the Wing and you will appreciate the power and handling.

·
Premium Member
7,121 Posts
Thanks. Any advice you can give on options? Nav or no? Radios, CBs, etc.
All that stuff depends on your needs. If you don't ride in a lot of groups ie....GWRRA. Then you won't need the CB. I think Nav is really good on the 2012. I have an '02 with a Garmin GPS and no CB. They should all have Radios and Intercom.

As far as possible problems....someone else will possibly help with that.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Well, if your looking used, there is a great sticky
http://www.goldwingowners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10437

I just purchased my first new to me wing about two weeks ago and have had a multitude of bikes in my time.

The biggest thing I have read is body height being an issue. Although a large bike, folks at at a bit over 6' seem to need to modify peg locations and seat types. I am Just under 5 10 and feel a little scrunched and am looking at some alternatives.

another thing if you test ride one and dont want to drop it. something I learned early that this bike differs than most, and not knowing it, earned me a numbered spot for folks who do drop their wings (seems to happen a lot) , the bike tends to be a bit front end heavy and with an ever so slight lean and added front break near any stopping point, over she will go, and you aint stoppin 800lbs. howver, what you will find and surprise you is, how responsive and nimble it can be once in motion.

there simply is a lot of good thinking gone into all the little pieces of design. at least that is how I feel at this point. and mine is 14 years old.

good luck, let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Thanks. Any advice you can give on options? Nav or no? Radios, CBs, etc.
I think the CB and radio deal is a personal choice kind of thing. I havent turned my cb on once. cant say it wouldnt help during an incident or break down, but just not something I would use. love having my radio. sometimes I listen to the music via the speakers, other times I listen through the headset, just depends, but like having it. I have read in a couple of places the factory nav's arent that great or worth the $$$ but I dont know for sure. My used bike came with an aftermarket, havent turned in on yet. but think any nav would be handy. I guess what I am saying, if buying used, and it didnt have a nav, an aftermarket would be just as good most likely. keep in mind, I am pretty new to the gadget bike game and being a wing nut.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I have been all over the Honda website and cannot find a list of the standard features such as intercom, radios, heated seats, etc?

Does anyone have any info?

Thanks in advance,

Shawn
the sticky I noted for you has the 1500's list depending on the model type. I dont know if that is same for 1800's.

·
Registered
674 Posts
I came here after I upgraded from a 2010 ST1300. I loved the ST and miss it at times.
However I simply cannot put into words how much I enjoy my 2012 Wing. If you get one you will not regret it.

·
Premium Member
5,432 Posts
welcome to GWOF from Maryland

·
Administrator
29,020 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,167 Posts
hello shawn, welcome to GWOF

·
Administrator
15,314 Posts
The basic model is the comfort package; heated seats and grips (which I love), radio, and intercom. I added a mp3 player which works where the CD player would be and that is a good add on. I also had a CB installed and use that on group rides. My wife and I moved up here off the coast four years ago and met the local GWRRA group and started on rides with them on my Yamaha. Then one of those "friends" gave her a ride on their Wing. I'm surprised she didn't hit me all the way home that day. We bought a Wing a month or so later. She likes riding it a lot better and will not get on the Yamaha with me at all. I have the 2010 model and you may find one or two still out there on the showroom floor which would be a good price. I know a couple people with 2012's and they enjoy those. New - Used - Navigation - Airbags, it's all up to your preferences.

·
Registered
6,713 Posts
Welcome, get as much as your wallet will allow.

·
Premium Member
7,508 Posts
If you buy a Wing without a CB and you ride with other wing owners, they will be talking about you and why didn't he just buy one with a cb.
+1 for what Larry said. Never had one until I got my 1500. Love it. Opens up the ride experience even more. Riding motorcycles is a solo experience, no doubt, but when you can communicate through intercom with your passenger or with other riders it really expands the dimension of the experience. It reminds me of taking a date to a movie. Each is in their own world and there's no interactive experience between each other.

·
Premium Member
24,630 Posts
Welcome Shawn from another former ST owner. While the ST is a great ride, the Wing excells in creature comforts especially for the passenger in your life. It's also a 900# couch with the soul of a sport bike; remarkably agile and very capable if not 'flickable' in the turns and twistys.
Here's a link to the Honda site that may help you with the features of the four models:
http://powersports.honda.com/2012/gold-wing/build.aspx
It's easier for us up here, we only have the two otions, fully equipped with or without the airbag.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.