Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am not a Goldwing owner at the moment. I am in the market for one and am having some difficulty finding out info on potential problems or certain years to stay away from.

Here is what I am looking for:

Affordable...Less than 10 grand
1500cc ...Can't afford the newer 1800cc bikes yet.
Bells and whistles...Reverse? Communication system, trunk space, adjustable ride, comfort for driver and passenger (long trips),

I don't know what else.

Miles? How many is too many?

Maintenance? How many of you guys do your own...aside from oil changes and air filter replacement?

Thanks in advance for your input.

JJ

·
Super Moderator
7,608 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum.
The weakest link is the alternator, I currently have a 90 amp unit when it stopped working.
Prices vary with location, I've seen GL1500 as low as $2500.00 and as high as $10,000.00.
There are three trim levels:
Interstate a no frills Goldwing
Aspencade: Reverse, cruise, on-board air compressor, AM/FM/Cassette
SE: Same as above plus adjustable passenger floorboards, lighted spoiler, cornering lights, foot warmers and CB.
Air ride shocks are standard. Intercom.
Trust me you can carry a lot of stuff, I can pack a months worth of groceries on mine.
Goldwings have been know to go 300,000 miles and beyond. If you find a well maintained GL1500 with 100,000, it's still roadworthy.
I worry about my own Wing, I have a 1993 and it has new timing belts, upgraded alternator, regular oil changes and fluid changes. If the owner has no clue when the timing belts were changed, change them.
Good luck in your search for the perfect wing for you.

·
Premium Member
24,643 Posts
Welcome jj. Good advice from trike lady and that's a very useful link form Larry. Just get the best you can afford, and ask about maintenance records, especially the belts and alternator upgrade (compufire). You can get along without reverse on a 1500 (some I-models were without), but I wouldn't want to. Very comfortable and lots of storage space.

·
Premium Member
7,509 Posts
I recently bought a 95 Aspencade for 3500 with 24k from the original owner. Needed carbs and master cylinder rebuilt, seat and windshield replaced. Needs new tires and timing belts replaced. I'll have 2200 invested in repairs. My investment of 5700 will put my 1500 on par with others selling for 7-10k. My point here is you can restore one like I did and pay less than full retail or buy one in excellent condition that needs nothing but your cash at full price. Either way, the GL 1500 is an awesome bike. It has the longest run of all the Wings ever manufactured at 14 years and is condidered one of the most dependable, reliable and rock solid GW's according to Honda owners.

·
Premium Member
7,999 Posts
Welcome to the GWOF, JJ!

I recently bought a couple of '80s Goldwings, just because I wanted the Aspencade and the fellow thru in an 1100 to boot. He "made me an offer I couldn't refuse."

The Aspencade has 57K original miles, barely broken in for a GoldWing, so I echo the words of more knowledgeable people above. I fully expect to get 100,000 mis. on it before any significant engine work, by which I mean "cracking the case" stuff.

·
Super Moderator
15,161 Posts
hello jj, welcome to GWOF. you want to look for a 1500 se or aspencade

·
Premium Member
7,120 Posts
I am not a Goldwing owner at the moment. I am in the market for one and am having some difficulty finding out info on potential problems or certain years to stay away from.

Here is what I am looking for:

Affordable...Less than 10 grand
1500cc ...Can't afford the newer 1800cc bikes yet.
Bells and whistles...Reverse? Communication system, trunk space, adjustable ride, comfort for driver and passenger (long trips),

I don't know what else.

Miles? How many is too many?

Maintenance? How many of you guys do your own...aside from oil changes and air filter replacement?

Thanks in advance for your input.

JJ
Welcome JJ....Before you set your mind a 1500. It might interest you that an 1800 is fair bit lighter in weight than the 1500 and you can't tell much of a difference in a 2001 and 2010. I bought my '02 1800 for $8500 with 41K Mileage. They are out there...If you find one check the frame recall and brake recall and you will be thrilled.
Good Luck on your quest

·
Super Moderator
9,995 Posts
Up to $10k will get you just about any GL1500. I would go for a 1998-2000 SE model year. You may also be able to find some early year 2001 - 2003 GL1800's. They will probably be higher mileage though. The early 1800's had some frame issues so you might want to stick with a later model GL1500.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I thank you all for the warm welcome and the advice. This is just the kind of info I am looking for. Frame recall? Brake recall? Good stuff to know. I like the advice about getting the timing chain replaced if it hasn't been. I have heard that needs doing on most wings. Why is that?

JJ

·
Premium Member
7,999 Posts
Hi JJ,

Yes, it's a very practical site, as well as fun. And, once you have your new-to-you Wing, it's even more practical. I just bought some parts from a GWOF member; they arrived today, and are in great shape. OEM and about $400 less than new OEM.

·
Super Moderator
9,995 Posts
The timing belt is a maint item that Honda recomends be replaced at specific intervals. It may be 60k miles, (not sure), but a lot of Goldwings go far beyond that before needing replacement.

·
Premium Member
24,643 Posts
I have heard that needs doing on most wings. Why is that?JJ
The belts are what controls your valve train activation and timing. Failure of them results in severe damage of the valve train as there is nothing controlling anything anymore. Fortunately they're very durable and failures are rare, but they shouldn't be ignored.

·
Registered
718 Posts
The 1500 was a real work horse, sure it's had some drawbacks (alternator), but I've not had any real problems with my 1500 for the 90,000 plus miles I've had it. My biggest problem is keeping gas in it, riding it of course. But now the 1800 has been out for over ten years, you can find some clean ones, even low mileage, for under $10,000. But if you are looking at an early 1800, have a dealer run the VIN number for the frame and brake recalls, though the brake recall may not have been done as this recall is the most recent coming out in the last few months as far as I know. For those of us in the snow belt, our bikes might still be in storage

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
This is great information. Thanks. One has caught my eye. It is a 1992 1500A Aspencade with a trailer. Questions to ask? Things to look for?
The price is just above KBB but best offer is also offered.

Looking forward to taking a look at it this weekend.

Thanks again.

JJ

1 - 16 of 16 Posts