Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm needing to replace the rear tire on my 2001 1800 wing. Anyone know what the best choice for a rear tire? Thanks

·
Registered
10 Posts
re:rear tire

I'm on my 3rd set of Dunlop Elite 3's. IMO they are the best for a Wing. Run them with 41# air front and rear and you shuold get 15k-17k miles on them.:)

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
You will get as many answers as there are tire brands. I have always run Dunlops on my Gold Wings, all 6 of them, but my last set were Bridgestones, 709 front 704 rear. and I love them, the handling is great, no corner noise like the Dunlops. I put a 702 (70 series) on the back to correct the speedo error that all Gold Wings prior to 09 has. Now it's right on with my Garmin GPS.

·
Registered
10 Posts
tires

Hey Joe in Calif,
how many miles do you have on your bridgestones? I mighht try them for my next set. I agree with the 70 series rear tire. My speedo is right on now.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Bridgestone 704; or maybe the Falken 912 size 195-55-16 or Kuhmo of the same size if you want to try the Darkside.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
Hey Joe in Calif,
how many miles do you have on your bridgestones? I mighht try them for my next set. I agree with the 70 series rear tire. My speedo is right on now.
I only have 3,000 miles on my front tire and about 1,000 on my rear tire, but right after I put the front on I noticed a big difference in handling, and with the rear tire all the howling in the corners is gone. I read many reviews on the Bridge stones and they were all favorable, that kind of why I went with them.
Check out this link.

http://wingstuff.com/pgroup_detail/.../?goto=/pgroup_list/tires/39_Bridgestone/mfg/

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
tires

I run Dunlop E three's. Have 3 sets and average 20K per set. They are usually on sale soemwhere.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
Keep an eye on the Avons, they have been know to bubble on the right side wall.

·
Registered
3 Posts
rear tires

Does anyone know if you can put a small car tire on the back
of an '05 goldwing. I had heard you could and get 30 to 40k on a tire.

·
Registered
793 Posts
I know of a fellow rider that had put a car tire on the back of his 1800, he stated it felt a little funky at slow speeds. But did it grab in the muck. Personally I would not recommend it as a car tire is designed for differant stress loads than a motorcycle tire. The sidewalls on a 1800 tire are very stiff, stiff enough that you can stand on it and the sidewall barely deflects. I would be very afraid of serious handling issues and since you are only on two wheels and no cage around you, I would not chance it!! I would even try to install a radial motorcycle tire on a motorcycle designed to run bias ply tires due to handling issues. I think this is a dangerous practice using a car tire on a motorcycle!!

·
Registered
405 Posts
I run the Falked 912 195X55X16 on the rear. It has a tendancy to want to stand up a little at slow speeds but honestly I rarely notice it. The bike is extremly smooth now, won't slip in the rain, mud, or gravel as bad, and the weight limit is 400+ lbs. more with this tire(which is tremendous considering the weight of the 1800 and riders and possibly pulling a trailer). Also most people that put this tire on find that it doesn't even need balancing as was my case. Another couple of side benefits is that it will probably last longer and cost about $75 less.

Probably more people use the Kuhmo run flat car tire which has all of the above benefits with the addition of being a run-flat. I decided I wanted the sidewalls to be a little more flexible in the turns with a car tire on the rear. I always carry a plug kit and air compressor.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I'm needing to replace the rear tire on my 2001 1800 wing. Anyone know what the best choice for a rear tire? Thanks
Hi, you will get a ton of answers, everybody uses the best tires and gets the best milage. Everybody rides differently. I have used Dunlop Elite 3's on all my 1800s with good success. Never got high milage on any tire(s) on my GL1800, I go for handling & wet weather performance. I recently put on Avon Cobras front and rear and I am well pleased with them. They handle better than the Dunlops. I would recommend you use a tire you like and are comfortable with and performs how you like it to for your riding style.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts