Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a wing rider with a damper that is laying around that would like to sell? I did full monty traxion trying to go all the way. What a differance, lot of adjustments still fine tuning. After putting on1500 mi. thinking don't need but are times still would help.
E-mail is [email protected]

·
Premium Member
24,630 Posts
There are dampeners available for Wings, but I haven't heard of anyone selling one...you may be limited to new. Welcome BTW.

·
Premium Member
333 Posts
Welcome from N Texas, can't add anything regarding your steering damper question.

Good luck in your search

·
Registered
67 Posts
Welcome..

Try http://seeleyproducts.com/

After a Full Monty I'm very surprised that you feel a need for more damping. You said you thought that there were times it could help?

Who did your Monty? Do you know what value the head bearings were torqued to?

Some times the bearings need a re-torque after a couple of thousand miles; it sounds like you are about due. Also, have your tires been replaced since the installation? I have found that if the tires get worn in the "Wobble Pattern" you can still feel some wiggle until they get replaced.

>edit.. Also, did you get a Full or a Mega Monty? The Traxxion triple tree makes a big difference. The damper seems to be about $600, and the tree is $750 plus install. I'd be more inclined to go for the tree for a couple of hundred more , rather than invest $600 in a damper.

=Dave=
Old Dog Moto Works

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Dandy dave

I got the mega. Cartridges, tree,tapered bearings rear shock with steel braided line. Old one rubber I think really made a differance. I torqued to 231/2 foot lbs. I put new tires on bead balanced Cobra in front really feels good rolls the tracks and bridges perfect. Just feel some wind gusts which wings have a small problem with and when cornering low speed 5-10 if uneven wants to wobble sometimes and transfer through bike. I can afford am older with shoulders replaced so wanted to go all the way. As far as traxion kt goes I would do again tomorrow. What an improvement was ready to sell for scap. Went from Bis., ND to Belgrade, Mt and back one day could have kept going and ready next day. I took bike to the frame, went through all but not something wish on someome. I did find a damper it's new but had to wait 11/2 months. When install will torque again.

Just AL

·
Registered
67 Posts
Hmmmmm... So you did the install? Are you SURE you got the races fully seated? Another issue could be that the stem lock nut (the one that you tighten finger tight, then bend the tabs over to lock) is too tight. If it's tight, it lets the 64 ft lbs of torque you put on the bridge nut tighten up the bearings, and gives you a "stiff" turn in. It kind of doesn't want to move off center and back easily. This can also be a function of of the stiffer tree, too. I can't remember, but we use a different torque value with the tree. Lower, I think.
Give Adam at Rocket Moto a buzz, he probably has the number right at his fingertips. 877-533-4245

As far as crosswinds, your torque setting could also affect that, but I'm more inclined to blame the large sail area of a Wing. Nature of the beast.

=Dave=
Old dog Moto Works

·
Registered
67 Posts
Edit to the above post... It wasn't the torque setting that made the difference, as I now recall. (My memory is so bad.. How bad is it? How bad is what?)

If you did the install did you raise the fork tubes? A Monty should have the tubes raised 10mm. I found that the bike with a Mega Monty was very stiff at 10mm, and went to 14. That was much better. So try either some, or a little more, tube up adjustment.

Let me know if that helps, and what your current settings are.

=Dave=
Old Dog Moto Works

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Dandy Dave

I used al torques that traxion dynamics gave me. When all done with bike on center stand tire installed etc. with a digital spring scale hooked to fork tube ha 4lbs. runout. They did say some do raise tubes to level bike again and also make quicker in alternating sharpe curves. The new shock has a 1 in. ajustment up to basically do the same thing. I like bike up so lean back into rest. But then what is 10mm compared to the 4 in. of sage had. When put in damper think will try for awhile. I'm going to put handle bar risers and bring back some also. The wife doesn't get this much attention. TeeHee

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Dave

Your humored. Thanks for input and will keep posted. Don't mean to over work memory but there are 2 ajustment screws on top of forks, there was no language for those. I need to call traxion seems good where is.

·
Registered
67 Posts
They did say some do raise tubes to level bike again and also make quicker in alternating sharpe curves.
Ron, they're speaking in CYA language... Actually, all installs need the tubes raised, and some more than others. Even a Race Tech install benfits from raising the tubes.

You say you have 2 adjustments. That sounds like the pre-load / rebound caps that they discontinued last year. ( :( )
If so, the outer adjustment nut should be gray-ish. If it is sliver / aluminum looking like the rest of thap, it's a rebound only.

(as I recall,... ) If it is a pre-load, there are 10 turns of adjustment. I would start kind of in the middle. Back it out all the way, then dial in 5 turns. Or, measure your sag and adjust by sag measuments.
The inner little screw thingy is for rebound (4mm hex?). That one has 3 turns. Again, start in the middle. back out all the way, then in 1.5 turns. (Don't force anything. When you feel it resisting, stop. )
adjust this one in 1/8th turn increments. A little goes a long way.

Take a 17mm socket (I think) for the preload, and a 4mm hex key for the rebound, and find a crappy road. Ride up and down it, making individual adjustments, and see what works best for you. Same road, different tuning and you will be able to feel the differences.

Ron, I'm doing this from menmory, so I can be overruled by anyone with more information.
There should have been some instructions with the kit. Again, did you do these yourself, or did you have Traxxion or an installer do them for you? I'm just trying to figure out why you didn't get better input on the adjustments and so on.

=Dave=

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Dave

No not one piece of white paper at all. I've called on what need. I can see with height, rake angle, wgt. of bike one could get as you but it a funky feel, maybe what experiencing. This weekend have lots to check-out. Next time around marry a guy. When get off work and home all would be done lawn,remodal,truck fixed and biked tuned. Head out. Haha

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Dandy Dave

Well when did seely damper install raised tubes 10mm did make better handling. I also backed off rebound slightly better ride where roads need fixing and no sharpe turns. Left off fork tube OE cover put plugs in handle bar bolt holes then can axcess fork adjustments anytime, looks better too. I went near Tampa, Fl. and back ran 600 to a 900mi. a day total mi ab out 3850. I would say either the roads got better or the new traxion forks and shock getting broken in. Felt smoother ride. I can say the seely damper wasn't the bigg benefit thought would be but on high setting when on straight slab found wind gusts which had lots of the bike tracked straight. Also lost lot of wobble when in slow sharpe corner when uneven. When put bike on center stand and shake handle bar the rear has to keep up with the front well lose some that transfer. Whenever come the wing has always empressed me. I picked-up a 2012 Victory cross country sunset red and silver grafics will add trunk and lowers to make a tour when need. Still in crate so am excited but will out do wing???

·
Registered
67 Posts
Al, glad you are getting it sorted out. I didn't think the Seeley damper would have a big effect on a bike with a lot of the standard GW addressed, such as head bearings and tree flex. It doesn't give the same magnitude of improvement that it would on an unmodified bike.

I still think you might want to try raising the tubes a bit more. I had the tubes at 10 mm on the bike we had a problem with, and going to 14 mm was a night and day difference... FWIW......

You might also try a little less on the rebound. Even though it's only rebound, I feel like the compression is stiffer too, and the forks are much harsher.

That sounds like a pretty nice trip. Too bad you didn't shoot over to the Daytona area, we could have gotten together. I find the roads here in Florida, where we are far away from the effects of frost heaves, freezing weather, and such are much smoother then the NH / Mass / VT roads. Of course, there are no hills or curves, either. The whole state is laid out in boxes, so you go west for a while, then turn left and go south for a while if you want to go southwest.

The Victory sounds nice. I test rode a Vision once. Goldilocks didn't like it much. I thought it was OK, but didn't get a chance to push it at all. Power was OK, but the Wing felt much better, and certainly smoother. It had a lot of features that I thought were really nice.. electric WS, good wind control, compliant suspension, lots of power points and iPod / MP3 hookups, Honda should look at the Vision for ideas of what features a luxury touring bike should have. Also, I thought the bag design paid a lot of homage to shape & style, but didn't actually hold much. It certainly wasn't a bad bike, but it wasn't a Wing, either. And, I find myself on the yuckk side of the polarizing style issue. They chose to make a bike that would appeal to some, but not to all. At least, not me. And it's OK for a bike to be different from a Goldwing, different bikes for different purposes. That lets us own multiple bikes....;)

=Dave=

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Dandy Dave

Damn I wish would have taken alittle more time looked you up. I guess dealing alittle with the rains coming in from bulf storm. Had some real soakers just before St. Louis to Kansas City. I forgot to mention in last post the steering bearings were still right at 23.5 ft lbs torque when rechecked. I'm going to lay out 2x4's and drive over really dial in. There are so many different situation then have a good base to work form. As you say roads are super in your area and in mosts states good but as soon as hit ND bourder look out. I didn't like assesment of the Victory. I haven't even rode one yet. Have looked at for a couple of years but never liked Vision at all. Then last time at Sturgis seen quite a few and what they have done to them. Read reviews, everyone has a HD usually black and looks like they are suffering. A sunset red/silver grafic I like. Doesn't come in the cross country tour so got a hell of deal on cross country and accessaries so it will be a stand out have only cross country tour in red/silver. The only trouble can't ride two bikes at one time. TeeHee

·
Registered
67 Posts
I hear you about the rugged individualists on the black HDs... Just like all the other rugged individualists.. (I want to be different, just like everybody else...)

Sunset red / sliver... like this?

Very nice.. like the colors..

Should be a nice bike for local (within 500 miles or so) riding.. Hope you enjoy it.

So, that makes you another victim of MMS, huh? (Multiple Motorcycle Syndrome) :)

=Dave=

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I have a Wing with full Monty Traxion front and back installed, fork brace etc. Put on an Avon cobra front tire. In 4,200 mi. total junk looks like took a grinder too. Never do that again. Got 500 mi. on new Cross Country Victory. Handles like a dream. Longer and wider then the Wing but wouldn't know it. Motor has power but unresponsive, little happens till gets to 3,000 r's. Haven't done breaken service yet maybe they detune the mapping for breaken if not dissappointed. Also 1st gear is to high no slow idol or creeper gear for load uphill take off or in slow traffic. That is where the Wing shines. I guess it's just not a wing, but at times the wing is not a Victory. Have to just keep both.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.