Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going to go look at a 1986 Aspencade tonight. GUy is asking $3660 for it. Looks like an awesome bike in the pics, has new stator,seat,highway pegs. I dont know how to post a link, but its on craigs list under Rochester Minnesota. Its maroon. I looked at KBB, and it is valued at $3250 I think. Question is, if it is in tip top shape, what would you offer him?

·
Super Moderator
9,851 Posts
A good price is what your willing to pay and what he's willing to take. For a bike 25 years old it more a question of how it has been maintained and the physical condition. Remember as the bike ages parts become an issue. Also, if your not handy with a wrench finding someone to work on it could be a challange.

That said, if the bike is all he says it is and the maint has been done on a regular basis then I would start at $3k and work upward from there to his asking price.

Good luck and if you get it post some pics.

·
Premium Member
1,922 Posts
Two Wheel has some good points. I looked at the pictures and its a Interstate. The paint looks really good and the stator being fixed is a HUGE expense you dont have to worry about.
Just my humble opinion seems a bit high to me, however my opinion and a buck and quarter will get you hardly anything. Good luck and let us know how it works out! :D

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
I looked on craigslist and could not find it.
I agree, the price is high, The stator being replaced is a big plus but the bike being that old will still have some issues with rubber parts drying out, fork seals etc. A lot depends on the condition of the bike and the care it has had in the past. Check to see service records like anti-freeze changes, brake and clutch fluid changes, timing belts, tires, brakes etc. I wouldn't go over $3000.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys. He didnt say anything about it being aspencade, I just thought it was because in the pics, it looks like it has a radio, and when I read the history of goldwings, I thought it said that an 86 interstate didnt come with a radio. Man, I sure wish I was a better negotiator. I feel like a crook offering $600 less then what he is asking. But I will start out at $3000, and go from there. If it is as good as it looks, I would come up to $3300 cash, but I really dont want to spend more then that on anything. Boy its going to be a long day.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Eventhough the seller states the stator has been changed, I would still check the charging sytem. Buy a battery meter at the wmart store. and plug it into the cigarette lighter of the bike. It will tell you if your are charging or not. check exhaust for rust, Check to make sure the air suspension stays inflated. check tires, they are not cheap to replace and at $3600, they need to be new or next to new.

good luck
Indy

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
I'd stick at $3000 period. There are others out there.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks again guys! Not that its a selling point, but is that true that the 86 intertates didnt come with a radio?

·
Premium Member
1,922 Posts
Thanks again guys! Not that its a selling point, but is that true that the 86 intertates didnt come with a radio?
If you want a radio then it is a selling point. I said it was an Interstate because the passenger has no "factory" arm rest or the pockets that are with them. Some one could have added a radio. I am going to go out on a limb an say they did mot come from the factoty with a radio.
To find it on Craigs list I juat googled craigs list with name of the town an then jit motorcycles.

·
Super Moderator
15,238 Posts
Thanks guys. He didnt say anything about it being aspencade, I just thought it was because in the pics, it looks like it has a radio, and when I read the history of goldwings, I thought it said that an 86 interstate didnt come with a radio. Man, I sure wish I was a better negotiator. I feel like a crook offering $600 less then what he is asking. But I will start out at $3000, and go from there. If it is as good as it looks, I would come up to $3300 cash, but I really dont want to spend more then that on anything. Boy its going to be a long day.
back in '07 when i went to look at the 1200 aspy the guy wanted $3000. i offered $2500 and became the proud new owner of an '84 aspencade in need of tires

·
Super Moderator
11,798 Posts
It is an Interstate. I would be more interested in the blue one in Pine Island. $3600 for an Interstate is too high, especially with very few accessories. My opinion only.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, I wont be getting that bike. I think those pics were taken a couple of years ago. Not in the same shape. Would only come down to $3500 Did take my first ride on a Goldwing tho. Damn those things are heavy! And I didnt like how I could barely touch the ground with my toes. Not to mention, I am begining to think the wife dont want me to get a wing. She told me she would feel trapped pn the back, if something were to happen. Cantankerous, I cant find that blue one in Pine Island, do you have a link?

·
Premium Member
23,771 Posts
Well, I wont be getting that bike. I think those pics were taken a couple of years ago. Not in the same shape. Would only come down to $3500 Did take my first ride on a Goldwing tho. Damn those things are heavy! And I didnt like how I could barely touch the ground with my toes. Not to mention, I am begining to think the wife dont want me to get a wing. She told me she would feel trapped on the back, if something were to happen. Cantankerous, I cant find that blue one in Pine Island, do you have a link?
Love's Labour's Lost ? No worry. We will help find you one. Let's look for a 1500 with a Hartco seat.

·
Premium Member
1,922 Posts
She would love a wing. Just dont get arm rest. .best two up bike made. Best period

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
I would stick to $3000 and see where it goes, truly if it is in excellent shape it is worth every penny!!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts