Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going to go look at a 1986 Aspencade tonight. GUy is asking $3660 for it. Looks like an awesome bike in the pics, has new stator,seat,highway pegs. I dont know how to post a link, but its on craigs list under Rochester Minnesota. Its maroon. I looked at KBB, and it is valued at $3250 I think. Question is, if it is in tip top shape, what would you offer him?

·
Super Moderator
9,997 Posts
A good price is what your willing to pay and what he's willing to take. For a bike 25 years old it more a question of how it has been maintained and the physical condition. Remember as the bike ages parts become an issue. Also, if your not handy with a wrench finding someone to work on it could be a challange.

That said, if the bike is all he says it is and the maint has been done on a regular basis then I would start at $3k and work upward from there to his asking price.

Good luck and if you get it post some pics.

·
Premium Member
1,880 Posts
Two Wheel has some good points. I looked at the pictures and its a Interstate. The paint looks really good and the stator being fixed is a HUGE expense you dont have to worry about.
Just my humble opinion seems a bit high to me, however my opinion and a buck and quarter will get you hardly anything. Good luck and let us know how it works out! :D

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
I looked on craigslist and could not find it.
I agree, the price is high, The stator being replaced is a big plus but the bike being that old will still have some issues with rubber parts drying out, fork seals etc. A lot depends on the condition of the bike and the care it has had in the past. Check to see service records like anti-freeze changes, brake and clutch fluid changes, timing belts, tires, brakes etc. I wouldn't go over $3000.

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys. He didnt say anything about it being aspencade, I just thought it was because in the pics, it looks like it has a radio, and when I read the history of goldwings, I thought it said that an 86 interstate didnt come with a radio. Man, I sure wish I was a better negotiator. I feel like a crook offering $600 less then what he is asking. But I will start out at $3000, and go from there. If it is as good as it looks, I would come up to $3300 cash, but I really dont want to spend more then that on anything. Boy its going to be a long day.

·
Premium Member
24,641 Posts
I'd stick at $3000 period. There are others out there.

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks again guys! Not that its a selling point, but is that true that the 86 intertates didnt come with a radio?

·
Premium Member
1,880 Posts
Thanks again guys! Not that its a selling point, but is that true that the 86 intertates didnt come with a radio?
If you want a radio then it is a selling point. I said it was an Interstate because the passenger has no "factory" arm rest or the pockets that are with them. Some one could have added a radio. I am going to go out on a limb an say they did mot come from the factoty with a radio.
To find it on Craigs list I juat googled craigs list with name of the town an then jit motorcycles.

·
Super Moderator
15,162 Posts
Thanks guys. He didnt say anything about it being aspencade, I just thought it was because in the pics, it looks like it has a radio, and when I read the history of goldwings, I thought it said that an 86 interstate didnt come with a radio. Man, I sure wish I was a better negotiator. I feel like a crook offering $600 less then what he is asking. But I will start out at $3000, and go from there. If it is as good as it looks, I would come up to $3300 cash, but I really dont want to spend more then that on anything. Boy its going to be a long day.
back in '07 when i went to look at the 1200 aspy the guy wanted $3000. i offered $2500 and became the proud new owner of an '84 aspencade in need of tires

·
Super Moderator
12,263 Posts
It is an Interstate. I would be more interested in the blue one in Pine Island. $3600 for an Interstate is too high, especially with very few accessories. My opinion only.

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, I wont be getting that bike. I think those pics were taken a couple of years ago. Not in the same shape. Would only come down to $3500 Did take my first ride on a Goldwing tho. Damn those things are heavy! And I didnt like how I could barely touch the ground with my toes. Not to mention, I am begining to think the wife dont want me to get a wing. She told me she would feel trapped pn the back, if something were to happen. Cantankerous, I cant find that blue one in Pine Island, do you have a link?

·
Premium Member
24,119 Posts
Well, I wont be getting that bike. I think those pics were taken a couple of years ago. Not in the same shape. Would only come down to $3500 Did take my first ride on a Goldwing tho. Damn those things are heavy! And I didnt like how I could barely touch the ground with my toes. Not to mention, I am begining to think the wife dont want me to get a wing. She told me she would feel trapped on the back, if something were to happen. Cantankerous, I cant find that blue one in Pine Island, do you have a link?
Love's Labour's Lost ? No worry. We will help find you one. Let's look for a 1500 with a Hartco seat.

·
Premium Member
1,880 Posts
She would love a wing. Just dont get arm rest. .best two up bike made. Best period

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
I would stick to $3000 and see where it goes, truly if it is in excellent shape it is worth every penny!!!

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.