Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, new guy here from Frederick MD.
I've been riding on and off 20 years. First bike (at 40) was 1995 Yamaha Virago. Sold it and bought a 1998 Virago 1100 (at 50) loved it.
Wrecked it at 55. With that having happened, a bike bike is not in the cards. So the wife is willing to move to a trike. Have been looking at HD and Goldwing. Have taken both for rides.

goldwing trike 1800 2004 with 900 miles for $25,500
goldwing trike 1500 1993 with 47k miles for $14,900

both were great rides. My concerns:

What is the expentency on a Goldwing? 1993 is 20 years, even if ther is on 47K on it. I don't think thats much.

on the 2004, even the low mileage I wonder if it dosent have enough mileage for the age.

Then my wifes concern about Honda and being quiet. Worried about the loader pipe sound for safety.

So I am looking for input/ideas/thought regarding Honda vs HD and the longevity of the Gold wing.

I thank all for any inputs

·
Premium Member
24,123 Posts
What a Wing lacks in " noise " it makes up for in " presence ". If you can, send pictures here. We have some great trike riders that are no nonsense riders.

·
Premium Member
16,737 Posts
As far as louder piped saving lives, not true. Think about this. Trainers are really loud and people still get killed by trains.
For comfort and relliabilty the Wing beat the HD hands down.
As far as trikes go the one thing I've noticed is that the bike it's self decrease in valve with age. But for some reason the attached kit seems to keep it's or close to it's original price:confused:
The 1500 if it's been maintained and ridden regularly should be good got another couple of hundered thousand miles yet.

·
Super Moderator
7,612 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum.
Both trikes sound good.
What brand of trike conversions are used on both Wings?
You'll find if you test ride both trikes, you'll find the GL1500 more spacious and it has hydraulic tappets which means no valve adjustments.
47,000 miles on the 1500 well it's not even broken in yet.
To make the Wing loud an air horn gets your attention quickly.
Goldwings have been known to last for 300,000 miles and beyond when well maintained.

·
Premium Member
24,630 Posts
Welcome Ray.trike lady knows her stuff, she had her own shop. For the money difference, I'd probably go with the 1500 depending on the conversion make. The mileage is very low on the 1800, but it could be a real gem just waiting for a lucky owner too. Tough call I'd say, it would be nice to know some history on both to be more sure.

·
Premium Member
790 Posts
Ray, welcome to the forum, as far as HD trikes and GW trikes, well, they're both good trikes for sure. The Goldwing has a reputation of longevity, most will last for 300K provided you take care of them. A HD just doesn't have that reputation and most HD's with 150K on them are in need of an engine rebuild. Like other post on this thread, the comfort will depend on the trike conversion. A 1500 with 47K is just getting broke in and years don't mean a whole lot when it comes driveability on a Goldwing.
As far as "loud pipe save lives" in my opinion, it's the gear you wear that will save your life. As you know, most accidents between cars and bikes happen at slow speeds and at intersections and most fatalities are due to the rider not wearing the proper gear.

I'd go for the 1500 with 47K, they're very classy trikes.

·
Premium Member
592 Posts
A trike kit is truely one of the only options that adds value to a bike (true trike not a 4th wheel kit) I ride a 2010 triked wing with a 2012 Champion trike kit with all the bells and love it now, but had some issues at 1st . Trikes take some getting use to , long term bikers seem to have most of the issues as I did. It has taken me some time to trust it in the twisties but now I can keep up with or beat the average two wheel rider. I looked and rode the HD myself looks great but a dog compaired to the wing. JMHO. OH and the pipe issue for safety is B/S
Bill

·
Super Moderator
10,007 Posts
Since I never rode a trike I can't speak to a lot of the issues, but I can tell you that Goldwings can go well over 200k with only regular maint. I don't think the HD can say the same... JMHO

·
Registered
296 Posts
I have a 96 wing triked out. 60,000 miles on it and climbing. For the money, I would go with the 1500 wing. For more room for you and wife, I would go with the 1500 wing. For easier maintenance, I would go for the 1500 wing. Darn, can't think of any reason I wouldn't go for the 1500 wing. lol I love it. Does get getting used to after two wheels, not as smooth as two wheels, but I love it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
need to find out more aboout the 93.
The 2004 has converted champion kit, all the standards, cover, brake hyper lights, fogs, pegs, lighted wheel brake cover, 2 helmets, digital changer in trunk, 2 riding coats, cardo scala com set. Acutal mileage is 861
Owner has had it two years and it had 589 when he bought it. He is 71 years old. Seemed like a nice old buy with lots of toys. now has health issues.

but all that said, it seems you all preferr the 93 becasue it's a 1500?

also, do you know if there are any "trike" groups in the MD area. Would love to meet some other "50+" to ride with.

·
Premium Member
3,594 Posts
Ray, one thing to consider....the suspension of the trike kit. I solid rear axle will give you more speed thru the corners. An independent suspension will give a smoother ride. Chamoion makes kits in both styles.
It sounds like you're planning a lot long distance rides two-up. That independent rear will make a noticeable difference, especially for the pax.

Enjoy the hunt, then come the rewards.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Ray, one thing to consider....the suspension of the trike kit. I solid rear axle will give you more speed thru the corners. An independent suspension will give a smoother ride. Chamoion makes kits in both styles.
It sounds like you're planning a lot long distance rides two-up. That independent rear will make a noticeable difference, especially for the pax.

Enjoy the hunt, then come the rewards.
+ 1 on the independent suspension.

I had a solid axle on my previous trike and this IRS on my current Roadsmith is clearly a smoother ride (along with the extended wheelbase)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for all the inputs.
Question 2.

Where do you get Goldwing trikes serviced? Do local Honda places work on them, or do I have to go to a special guy like Boss Hoss or some thing like that.

bye the bye leaning very hard towards that 1993 GW Trike with 47K miles for $14,900. Unless I can find something newer and still reasonable. Can't afford them 2012's

·
Super Moderator
7,612 Posts
Most Honda dealers will work on the Wing itself, if the Honda dealer offers trikes they'll work on the conversion. Rear tires can be purchased where ever car tires are sold. If you have a trike shop in your area.
That's a good price for a low mile 93.

·
Premium Member
3,594 Posts
Ray, the questions to ask the seller are the same as you would ask about a bike.
What model? Is it independent suspension (IRS) or solid axle. That is an important question.
When was it installed? How many miles ago?
Installed by who? Try to find other customers of that installer, he should be able to maintenence on the trike portion. The rest of the bike can be serviced by a Honda dealer or whoever you have experience with and trust.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.