Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a 1975 Goldwing for $600, but apparently the timing belts broke. Would this have ruined the engine? If not, how difficult would it be to replace them myself? Any information would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Banned
3,204 Posts
What else didn't they do on that old of a motorcycle? What is the over all condition of the bike? If the bike was free, it could still be an expensive bike.

Welcome from Seattle!

·
Super Moderator
9,846 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Pennsylvania. I'm not a "wrench" guy, but I would think that anytime a timing belt breaks, it's not a good thing. I think you have to really look the bike to see the overall condition to see if it is worth the time and $$ it will take to get it back to running condition. I guess the worst that can happen is if you buy it and it can't be fixed, you could sell parts from it to recoup some of your $$.

Unless you are really knowledgeable about fixing motorcycles, you might be better off spending more and getting one in reasonable condition. Good luck..

·
Super Moderator
7,663 Posts
Hey pricklypauly,
Welcome to the forum.
The job you face with the engine is bent valves. You may wish to check the piston crowns for damage.
Good luck.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Chances are you may be better off selling the parts. The parts for that bike are extremely hard to find!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks so much for the info guys. Decided not to get it, I don't want to get into a bunch of work and don't really want to get it to part out. I'll keep looking and find a little newer bike that's ready to ride. Thanks again.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Likely a good decision. I had the same thing with the Blackbird I was hoping to buy. It had a big time miss in the midrange that 3 other dealers couldn't fix. I wasn't about to be the fourth.

·
Registered
193 Posts
A friend of mine still has a 75 he bought new,carbs have been a problem,parts are really hard to find and expensive.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts