Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey every one, I have a few questions. I am looking at 2 different bikes, and would like to know the pros and cons of each bike. If you go to www.trimbles.com, they are listed there. The first one, is a 1986 1200 with 48,768 miles on it for $2800. ( the sales guy told me he would take $2600. The second one is a 1988 1500, with 111,385 miles on it. They want $5500 for that one. I should add that the 88 is alot nicer bike, but the 86 is not that bad either. I am just looking for some pros and cons of both bikes. I just sold my 2003 Yamaha V Star 1100, and my wifes 2007 Honda Spirit. But now that we are bikeless, I am really missing the nopen road. Thanks for any input you can give me.

·
Registered
692 Posts
... Howdy ... Big D ... I Can't Comment On The 1500 Having Never Ridin' One ... My 85 1200 Ltd Covers All The Bases For Me ... We Have Lots Of Twisty Roads On The Oregon Coast And The 1200 Has Done Fine ... Happy Trails ...

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
Offer him $5,000 for the 1500, The 1200 is a good bike but the 1500 is so much more of a bike. Don't let the miles scare you, if it had good care you should be o.k. The only thing on the 1500 would be to try and find out if the alternator brushes hane been changed, at that mileage that and timing belts would be my concern. If you go for the 1200 make sure the stator has been changed, when it goes bad, and it will go bad it's about a $1,200.00 repair job.

·
Super Moderator
28,448 Posts
B D

Don't know where you reside however in my opinion seems like a lot of money for the 1500. Here in PA my brother just upgraded to 1500 from 1100. He got a 93 with 88k on it for $4500.00.
My sugestion would be to check ebay / craigs list & spend a little time looking around. I think you may be able to do better.

For what it's worth would vote for the 1500. I love mine.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys! To be honest, I think I will have to wait until next year to get another bike. We just sold our 2 bikes because of finances, and I would be foolish to pick one up now. Next July I will be done paying child support, and then I could just use that money for a bike payment. I really like the 1500's better then the 1200 anyways. NOthing against the 1200 at all, just from what I have looked at so far, the 1500 is much more bike. Tere is a private party selling a 1988 wing in our town, for $4000. New back tire, tune up, new battery. I would really like to look at that, but I am afraid that if I do, I will really want that one, I have a tendancy to jump at the first thing I look at, and this time I want to really take my time. Thanks again guys.

PS- Another question, what colors did the 88, 1500 come in?

·
Super Moderator
9,855 Posts
Thanks guys! To be honest, I think I will have to wait until next year to get another bike. We just sold our 2 bikes because of finances, and I would be foolish to pick one up now. Next July I will be done paying child support, and then I could just use that money for a bike payment. I really like the 1500's better then the 1200 anyways. NOthing against the 1200 at all, just from what I have looked at so far, the 1500 is much more bike. Tere is a private party selling a 1988 wing in our town, for $4000. New back tire, tune up, new battery. I would really like to look at that, but I am afraid that if I do, I will really want that one, I have a tendancy to jump at the first thing I look at, and this time I want to really take my time. Thanks again guys.

PS- Another question, what colors did the 88, 1500 come in?
Good idea to wait until your finances are in better shape and then you can really enjoy the Wing and have some extra for any farkles you want to add to it. Hope things work out for you.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
In 1988 Honda had
1.Martini Beige Metallic (Tan)
2.Dynastic Blue (only a few of these)
3.Phantom Gray Metallic

In 1989 Honda had
1. Candy Wineberry

2. Martini Beige Metallic with Haze Brown Metallic on lower cowl

3. Commodore Blue-Green with Triton Blue on lower cowl

1 - 7 of 7 Posts