Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been lurking a little bit while shopping for a Wing. Found one with, yes, 750 miles! The original owners says he had hip replacement in '07 after buying the bike and just hasn't felt comfortable on it since the surgery. He's 62 yrs old and just doesn't want to handle it anymore.

Now...

What questions would you have if you were looking at it?
What things would you look at closely?
When riding, what would you "feel", listen, or look out for?
Anything else?

BTW, I currently ride an '05 Honda VTX 1300R. Thanks in advance for your help! :)

·
Premium Member
23,771 Posts
timjoe: Just came off an '06 VTX1300C last November. Have a rental property in Woodstock, VA and travel the Rt 211 route out your way often. Boy ! This Wing was not even broken in. As I'm new to Goldwings, I'm not much on tech support yet. The obvious parts that are not worn are the brakes. The tires, in most members opinions here , are getting close to their " shelf life ", regardless of miles. Your question asks " What items can go bad with time, rather than with usage ? " I'll have to leave that sage advice to the sage members here. How much for the bike ?

·
Super Moderator
9,851 Posts
First welcome to the forum from Pennsylvania.

As far as the Wing.... First thing I would do is find out when it was purchased. If the purchase date is less than 3 year old, then I would buy the extended warranty. ($499 from:

http://www.directlineparts.com/

Then I would change the oil and filter (I would use dino oil for the first change). You might want to drain the gas and fill with fresh. Put some Seafoam in the fresh tank. Check the fluids and go riding. Take it easy for the first couple hundred miles to make sure everthing seats on the engine. Tires should be okay, (check for cracks in the sidewalls), but may have a flat spot on them if the bike has been sitting on the side stand instead of the center stand.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies...

Thanks for the replies and advice. The price is $15,000 and it has numerous ad-ons, such as driver's backrest and passenger arm rests (both items are a must for me and my wife). Floorboards were also added and numerous chrome bling here and there.

I'm thinkin' less on the price.

·
Premium Member
23,771 Posts
I paid $18,000 for my '08 last November. 8,900 miles. Nothing added except trunk and bag organizers. Doesn't mean anything, just a comparative price statement.

·
Super Moderator
9,851 Posts
Re owners rv rental

I personally would never do business with owner rv because I have not used them but I would use the rv outlet
Welcome to the forum from Pa. I must admit I'm a little:confused::confused: with your first post..

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Maybe wrong forum???

Re owners rv rental

I personally would never do business with owner rv because I have not used them but I would use the rv outlet
I guess he's confused which forum he's logged into???? :confused:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Premium Member
432 Posts

Ditto on the extended warranty if possible.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Hey congrats and I hope you get your name sorted timjoebob! just messin!!! I was going to say get off your horse and buy the sucker, but you already did. Great stuff, enjoy your new bike!

·
Super Moderator
15,238 Posts
hello timjoebob and welcome to GWOF

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
Ditto on the extended warranty if possible.
If the bike is an 05 it's out of warranty unless the previous owner bought it, if not it's to late to get it now.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Not sure about pricing in the US, but Honda Plus is available for used units also; any GL that is more than 3 years past original sale date. Up here a year package sells for around $750, 2 years about $1250, and 3 years for $1500 (1800 models). Dealers are able to sell at whatever they choose, but that's ballpark up here. There are also aftermarket warranties from GE and such, but I don't have alot of faith in them. For what it's worth, I'll purchase the Honda Plus for my Wing when it approaches the 3 year anniversary date.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Yep, I bought it. Put two new tires on it, changed the oil and then took a 2600 mile "Great Lakes Ride".

Pictures of the bike here:

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=58154&id=1618034237&saved#!/album.php?aid=58154&id=1618034237

Pictures of the ride here:

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=58154&id=1618034237&saved#!/album.php?aid=58873&id=1618034237
Hi Tim
Well done mate. It looks like you have done very well for yourself.Great looking bike. They are a dream to ride , aren't they ?
Cheers
Graham from oz

1 - 16 of 16 Posts