Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I came across a two owner 78 wing with 54K on it. I am going to look at it tonight. Second owner has had it since 4500 miles. At the end of last season he did the timing belts. Brakes and tires done last year. Just did water pump,new hoses etc. Original paint,exhaust,grab rail. He has the stock seat, but just put a new custom seat on. Has Bates hard bags as well. Said only thing that does not work are the fuel/temp gauge and that supposedly that is fixed by a new 7v relay. It is on the road and driven daily. He is asking $1800 for it.

If she is as clean as the pics he sent and it rides well should I have any major concerns at this price/mileage? I understand about parts and that has been the story with many vintage bikes I have owned. I have always dug the looks of the old naked wings. thanks...Joe

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
Sounds like a good deal to me, if he has the service records and it looks and runs good and your happy with it than go for it.

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
good luck, hope it woks in your favor. i would love to have a nekkid wing '78 - '82

·
Registered
52 Posts
Make sure it's charging! I got scammed when I bought my 78 Goldwing. The guy charged the battery and disconnected the headlight so it looked as though it was charging 14v. but the stator was shot. 12 hr. 2 man job to replace it.
After changing the stator and a few other odds and ends it's a great bike.

SAVE THE ORIGINAL SEAT,IT'S WORTH $$$$!

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
If it's sound, I'd say yes! Liek mentioned, just do a bit of investigatig and you could have a dandy. Love to have one myself. One of the GWRRA members hearabouts just got back his own original ('78 I believe) 1000, and is restoring it back to bare bones stock. Lucky fellow.

·
Super Moderator
9,853 Posts
Stator is the biggest problem with older Wings. Availability of parts is getting somewhat limited, but it's a great bike. Maint records will tell you a lot about how well it was taken care of. Good luck and post pics if you buy.

·
Premium Member
127 Posts
My first Wing was a 1978,,,,,,,,,I'd buy it back in a minute!!

·
Super Moderator
7,668 Posts
joem
Parts for older Wings can be found, but it is knowing who has them. You can get aftermarket stators and regulator/rectifiers and there are those parts that require a salvage yard. You can find parts for old wings at www.oldbikebarn.com and salvage parts at www.usedgoldwingparts.com

·
Registered
19 Posts
i just bought a 1977 with about 32000 miles on it. i just had to trust the guy that sold it to me. so far the bike is perfect. the old wings are fun to ride...i just saw an add on craigs list for a 76 asking $3995.00 sounds like a fair deal.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts