Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been riding Harleys looking to make a change local dealer gave me a great deal on 2010 if I want it. Like the looks of the extra storage but the weight over the Harley makes me wonder just a little bit. Any input greatly appreciated. Thanks

·
Premium Member
576 Posts
Welcome flor1, never been on a Harley, but the 1800 is so well balanced I doubt very seriously that would would notice any weight difference, I think you will be amazed in the way it handles. See if your dealer will let you take it for a test ride. We have several recent Harley converts on the site maybe they will chime in and offer their opinion, anyway glad your here and good luck, let us know what you do.

·
Super Moderator
28,433 Posts
flor1,

1st welcome to the site from Pa. I have a 1500 so I can't address all of your concern, however I will say that I have friends who have 1800's & they tell me that Honda has done a very good job of keeping the weight low as to not have a top heavy issue. I'm sure that our 1800 guys will chime in to further evaluate. Good Luck.

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
Hi flor1, I just started riding a wing, also have a 2010. I have rode a Harley for a while and like you was looking for a change. I still have my Heritage and love my bike, but to tell you the truth it doesn't compare to the Gold Wing. The bike handles so well and after the first few miles I didn't notice the weight difference. P.S. I love the storage on this bike, so much room :)

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Welcome to the site flor1. While the Wing is heavier than a Harley dresser, it isn't a LOT heavier, and the weight is carried lower as mentioned above. There is a small difference (in the HD's favor) when you first try very slow parkinglot type turns, but once accustomed to the different feel, the Wing is an absolute delight. The Harley is a tad cushier riding around town (Wings are a lot more sporty feeling) but as soon as you turn up the wick be prepared for a huge s**t eating grin as the true nature of the Goldwing kcks in. Smooth, agile, and extremely satisfying to ride, and rich useable power that just doesn't quit. Not even the BMW LT has that kind of oomph (I know because I've ridden one). I came from an ST1300 and back onto a Wing and was expecting a decrease in performance, and braking power. Boy was I wrong! Yes the ST is quicker (about half a second in the 1/4 mile) and the brakes are sharper, but the ST has a 200# weight advantage with a tad more hp. The HD might get a bit better fuel mileage, but then there's only about 2/3 the rear wheel hp on tap too. Even the CVO Ultra is no match for the Wing in a performance comparo. Comfort, style, handling, performance, features, and above all the legendary reliability make the Wing what it is.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well pulled the trigger got a yellow one on order pick up thursday gonna have dealer install fog lights and do the rest myself. Now I just have to wait a few days that'll be interesting. Sure i'll have more questions.:)

·
Super Moderator
9,844 Posts
Welcome to the forum from the beautiful state of Pennsylvania, and congrats on your new Wing. You won't be disappointed. I test drove a HD dresser years ago (early 90's) so my comparison would not be fair because I think HD's have come a long way since then. But I can tell you that I love my 09 GL1800. It's like the best of both worlds, sporty when I want and long distance hauler when I need to go 700 miles in a day. When I bought mine I had fog lights, rear spoiler, trunk rack and 12v outlet installed by the dealer. Since then I've put Kurykan Ergo II highway pegs, a belly pan and Baker Wings. Like the HD there are loads of farkles you can add to the bike. As you put miles on the Wing you will see which accessories work best for you. Enjoy the forum and ride safe.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
May have to get my wife to slap the smile off my face. Picked it up in Chattanoga Honda only way out of town on the freeway not my first choice had a hell of a time staying under 70 this thing wants to run and who am I to say no. Hit 74 64 through the gorge turns on a rail. Ended up going 40 miles out of the way home just for the ride couldn't be happier.:cool:

·
Super Moderator
9,844 Posts
That smile on your face will last a long time.. Enjoy the Wing and ride safe..

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
That's how I felt last month when I picked mine up. Have been riding it every day since to work. Enjoy the bike as I'm sure you and the wife will :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts