Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
New member here. Lots of good info thus far.

I am trading my V star 1100 Silverado for a wing. Been looking for awhile and I think I found a nice one in San Antonio.

I have read through a lot of the threads on wing purchases and have seen a lot of info on the 82 - 88 models, but not much on the early 90 models.

Any info you can offer would be appreciated. I am going to check it out this weekend. Dealer wants $4,999.00. It has 115,000 miles on it. Hopefully I like it. The wife can drop me off and I get a nice 3 hours test drive back to West Houston:)

Best Regards,

Don

·
Registered
201 Posts
Welcome Don,Good luck with the 94 GL1500 SE I hope others in the lower 48 will give you some input. In B.C. I paid $ 5k for my 85 LTD which is the going price here,I envy you.My 85 is nice though its been looked after and has character. GW's are numero uno :)

-Robert-

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
hello and welcome to GWOF don. the later 1500 had some improvements over the early ones but none are bad. i have a '93 se with about 46,000 miles on it and other than maintinance the front wheelbearing went bad and now i need new fork seals. wheelbearings have been replaced and fork seals will get done in the spring

·
Registered
515 Posts
Hey Cooldad! I had a '96 for a little over a year, no problems. I believe there was a recall on the bank angle sensor for previous years, might want to check on that. I also think there were some improvements to the alternator in later models. A '94 with 115,000 is just broke in, as long as the previous owner(s) took care of it...you'll know! My 2000SE now has 107,000, I bought it Jan '08 with 84,000. It ran great and looked better, I didn't even flinch, signed the dotted line and never looked back. Good luck!

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
If it looks good and clean go for it, check tires, and check color of brake and clutch fluids, they should be clear or close to it. About the only thing I would worry about with that age and mileage is the timing belts and brushes in the alternator,

·
Super Moderator
9,851 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Pa. Good luck on your purchase. Ride safe and often.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have a 94 aspy and its great. I have most of the SE options, like CB, etc. Just make sure everything works. The price is not bad for a dealer!

·
Premium Member
432 Posts

Why not spend a few more bucks and get a lower mileage 1800cc?
I'll bet you can find a clean one, 02 - 03 with 70k miles for $7K. Be sure the frame recall is complied with and your good to go.

·
Registered
6 Posts
What everyone else said. Trust me, you will not regret buying a wing, whether or not you buy this one or another!

I picked up my 89 1500 a couple months back and couldn't be happier. Weren't any maint records atall and it had been sitting for a while so I did all the maintenance front to back. I absolutely LOVE this bike! I got a couple hundred miles on it before the snow and ice came. If it's clear tomorrow I'll get a few more miles in...

·
Registered
263 Posts
Ditto with Joe,especially on the tires,before you do a 3hr. 1st ride. Got my '94 with 111k
on it.Check timing belts ASAP.On mine,the right bank one came off without touching the tensioner.I felt lucky & relieved. Got mine 2yrs. ago from previous owner for $4,200,but with a rebuilt title.Go for it & enjoy!!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts