Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,
I am thinking about getting rid of my current bike a 2001 Roadstar silverado and looking for an older Goldwing. I have found some older models that I could possibly trade for or purchase, mostly the late
80's 1500's or early 90's models. Currently I saw a guy near me offering a 1989 with 54,000 miles for $4995. Is this a good price ? Also I have heard about stator problems and needing to change timing belts. Sounds expensive and I've heard it's hard to find parts for these models. Anything else to look for or preferable years to check out ? Any insight you could give me would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Chris

·
Super Moderator
9,856 Posts
Stators were not used on the GL1500 (1998-2000), so that's not a problem. According to maint schedule the timing belts were due to be changed at 80k miles or 8 years. Belts are about $60 if you are handy. If not add the cost of about 2 1/2 hours of shop time at the dealers. A lot of parts for the GL1500 are interchangeable for most years with a some exceptions like lights and exhaust pipes..

·
Registered
793 Posts
The GL 1500 is pretty close to bullet proof, with a production run from 1988-2000. If it looks good, it's probably been well cared for, so price would be right in line.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Think I'm going to call the guy tomorrow. Hate to
see my Roadstar go but I've been wanting a Wing
since I was in High school. I know, everyone seems to
think the Wing is for older riders but my cousin and I would
sit outside and talk about buying Wings and going cross country.
My cousin never really got into bikes but I still have the trip
it in my bucket list.
Thanks all,
Chris

·
Super Moderator
15,241 Posts
timing belts can be purchased from napa atuo parts store for about $26 each, napa gold fuel filters are about $3.00

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Just remember you are looking into a 20+ year old bike, so the usual inspection should apply. Maintenace records if available, how often it was run or how long stored, tyres, fork seals, axel bearings, hoses, carb seals, coolant, brake fluid, rear diff, electrical systems, etc. If you can get the vin#, any dealer can do a unit look-up and see what warranty claims (if any) have been made, and any recalls/bulletins that may have been done or missed. Things that should be checked on any used machine.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts