Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wife and I took a long weekend this past Thursday through Monday and rode to Charleston, SC. I know, I know.... I have pictures to post (fossil)... I have friends who were stationed at the Air Force Base there who rave about the city, so we loaded up and headed out.

The first night, we stayed at the base in Warner Robins, GA. Man, the lodging there is a hole, but it was a place to sleep. AND, they had covered parking for the Wing, so it wasn't all bad. Took off Saturday morning and clicked off about 175 miles by 9 a.m. Blew right past Savannah, GA and was pleasantly surprised by Hwy 17 into Charleston. Not a bad road to ride.

We rode right downtown and parked on the waterfront arriving at right around noon. Parking was rare, but you know you can maneuver fairly well, and I banged a U turn to steal a free space being vacated. After a quick walk-thru of downtown Charleston and some lunch, we rode out to the hotel just on the outskirts of downtown. Spent the night on a carriage ride and walking tour.

The next morning, we kept our room, but we took off for a ride to Myrtle Beach. Good road on 17 North again. However, at about 10 miles from Myrtle Beach, we turned around in the attempt to avoid the black clouds rolling in FAST! Go about halfway back and the little town of Georgetown, SC drew us in. The historic area was neat, and they have a small boardwalk there. Lunch and ride out was uneventful until we got to Mt. Pleasant and the skies opened up. We got drenched.

Here's comic relief to add to that story... I had to stop at CVS to pick up a few items. So, I stop and it is just starting to rain, and I ask my wife if she is coming in. She says no, because she doesn't want her seat to get wet. Just as I am checking out, the bottom falls out. It is raining so hard one can barely see.... I get out the door expecting to see my wife standing under the store's overhang. But, no... she is sitting on the bike keeping her seat dry.. Ha, ha...;) The people standing out there had to be wondering why she was still sitting there. I know I was thinking that... but, I got on the bike, and we pressed on....

Monday morning, we took off for home near Montgomery, AL, but I forgot that it was the first practice day at Kiawah... Traffic was just starting to stack up out toward the Island, so no breakfast in an attempt to get out of Dodge. Rode the 8 hours back to Montgomery in various stages of wetness... I find it amazing that cagers find it necessary to drive so close on the rear of a bike in the rain on a four lane highway:mad:

Anyway, I will post some pictures soon for those of you interested.

BadgerFn

·
Premium Member
7,120 Posts
Sounds like a great ride BF. You have to admit.....the seat was dry. I will wait patiently for pics.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Sorry you didnt get to see chucktown under the best circumstances, but I do like the town. I worked there for about 2 years, and would like to go back...well I can,,but thats another story. Growing up on the east coast of fla, the charleston waterways and beaches reminded me of home, only with a little more character. Im a fan of charleston. Myrtle is a little to commercial for me, you didnt miss much there.

·
Premium Member
7,120 Posts
Well done Kid.....might like to slip on down that way. Thanks for posting

·
Administrator
29,004 Posts
Sounds & looks like you guys had a great time Badger. Thanks for sharing & taking us along. It's awesome when your wife wants to ride as much or if not more than you. I know my little lady wasn't fond of rain, but once she was committed she hung in with me & was just as game as I was. Kudos to your missus.

She's a RIDER & a keeper!

Great job.:cool:

·
Registered
9,540 Posts
I love that town thanks for the pics. If you are into B&B the 1837 house is a great place a little on the $$$ side but it has it's on 12 year old spirit boy that stayed when he died swimming out to the boat that they put his mother and father when they were sold as slaves. They say he will show up at the foot of your bed, we have been two times and still have not had the opportunity to meet him. MZ Dragon thinks I'm just a bit off on this 1.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts