Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My neighbor told me letting my GL1800 idle for 30 minutes in my garage (door open) was hard on the motorcycle and I just don't see why that would be the case. the machine does not heat up, the fans cycle on and off every few minutes. I have ridden in traffic nin LA and had long idle times in very hot weather and the machine never goes over the midway mark.

The purpose was to charge the battery on my Mustang which I let sit too long and the battery tender would not touch it. The tender was connected to the Mustang but I did not get it right and the positive slipped off so it sat for two months and drained its battery.

·
Super Moderator
15,161 Posts
normally the fans on a wing don't come on unless the enging temp is high enough to trip the thermo switch. i wouldn't use my wing to recharge another battery i would put the dead mustang battery on a full charger or take it to an auto parts store and let them charge it, call a friend and borrow his battery charger but my wing isn't going to run for even 10 minutes charging a car battery

·
Premium Member
1,880 Posts
normally the fans on a wing don't come on unless the enging temp is high enough to trip the thermo switch. i wouldn't use my wing to recharge another battery i would put the dead mustang battery on a full charger or take it to an auto parts store and let them charge it, call a friend and borrow his battery charger but my wing isn't going to run for even 10 minutes charging a car battery
Or get a friend to jump the Mustang and drive the sucker until the battery is charged. Just run a mile or so up the free way. That should let the car run for a couple of hours :D Take care

·
Banned
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I appreciate there are numerous solutions to a dead battery, I was asking about idling. In any event, it works. Connected for about 20 minutes on a 20amp fused circuit gave it enough power that the Battery Tender can finish the job. The alcohol-burning Ford started so we are going racing tonight.

·
Super Moderator
15,161 Posts
if the fans are kicking on then the motor is getting hot so 20 - 30 minutes of idling isn't very good

·
Premium Member
24,643 Posts
Not a recommended practice to be honest. Your bike's charging system doesn't put out enough current at idle to properly recharge the loss from start-up, it needs to be at a much higher rpm (actually road running speeds) than the system allows for. You got away with it this time, but I sure wouldn't say to do it again. When you hit the go button on the 'stang, you likely used up mostly cranking power left in the battery. A battery that was never intended to crank over a muscle type auto engine.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.