Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to the Wing world. Just got my 97 SE about a month ago. Since then, I have trailered it up to the North Carolina/TN/GA mountains for a week stay. Put about 1000 miles on the bike over the course of a week riding through all the mountain roads 2 up with the wife. I was very familiar with these roads as I have ridden them many times on my sportbike. Anyways, I used this as a test for my wife. To see how she would like riding as a pillion through roads like that and for 8-10 hours a day. Well, she loved it. So...that gives me permission to start planning longer trips. Yay!

So, I currently live in central Florida and my family is from and I grew up in North Eastern Massachusetts. Next summer, I would like to plan a trip on the wing from here to there. I would like to stay mainly off highway as much as possible after Atlanta.

For those that have done long distance rides like this, how long did it take you? I have made the trip in a car in 22 hours straight via highway. On the bike I am guessing 3-4 days with stops? How much cargo did you manage to take? Harbor Freight trailer is a possibility.

How to deal with mechanical issues? Tires I think would last the trip. Did you plow through storms or take cover?

In the very early stages of planning so any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!!
Cory

·
Registered
117 Posts
I did central Texas to Daytona with an over nite stop. The one thing I can't do on the bike is the all nite drive otherwise we would have made it by mid day. We packed both bags full with clothes and necessarys. The trunk had the cooler camera and the wifes gear. I pack a tire plug kit valve stems and the factory tools. Never had any major mechanical issues. If the weather is severe we'll stop but if it's like just a rain storm we'll ride on carefully. What we did do was pack enoough clothes to last the trip and before we left we shipped the dirty laundry home. No need in hauling it with us. That opens up alot of room for purchases made on the trip.

·
Banned
3,204 Posts
We did a 4000 mile round trip from Seattle to Phoenix via Las Vegas in April. We pulled a trailer and we did half camping / motel. This is a two day drive (1500 miles) but on a bike it was 3 long days getting there. Plan on nothing but riding and gassing up on 500 miles a day......... at best. 400 is reasonable. 300 is checking out the scenery on the way.

If you are camping, allow 2 hours for setup and break down minimum.

The trailer was a life savoir for us. Two up on a Wing traveling can be done. We did it a few times but there is nothing better than being able to haul creature comforts along especially if there is going to be any camping along the way. Extra clothes was not a problem with the use of the trailer. We washed clothes once in Phoenix at the motel and once in Henderson, Nevada. Simple to do and all done while we ate dinner close by.

Riding the flat top changes the possibility of more mileage but at the same time, one still have to stop and rest, eat, use the bathroom and of course have fun.

Too much mileage will fatigue you which is dangerous. Also, showing up for a visit exhausted is not much fun for your hosts. They are at a heighten state of readiness to visit.... and do things with you. This will further fatigue you which could get you sick.

Take your time and enjoy the riding experience with your partner and be rested when you get there.

·
Premium Member
17,147 Posts
We ridden coast to coast a couple times. Depending on the the road, interstate or secondary hwy, the mileage varies. We like to enjoy the trip so we figure if we're just blasting down the interstate at posted limits, 450 to 550 miles a day. other highway 300 to 350 miles and if we are in an area with lots to see , mileage is not an issue.
As far as clothing goes, we always have one warm shirt along just in case, and we do laundry along the way.
We found most tourist shop will ship your purchase home for you.
From the Northwest Corner
Ron

·
Super Moderator
28,436 Posts
Cory some good info already. I would concur with most. We went cross country & back last year. We used a modified Cooler rack with a Tbag (link below).

http://www.goldwingowners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3771

We aren't much into roughing, the little ladie's & my idea of that is when the Hotel doesn't have a hot breakfast. The one thing to check is there is a difference between Laundry service & Guest Laundry. You will want a hotel with the latter. We packed 3 sets of riding clothes & 1 set of nice clothes. The side bag luggage was a his/hers, the upper bag luggage was some misc.,Netbook, heated gear & some souveniers stuff, have a luggage rack bag for the top & that had rain gear & bike cover. Shipped stuff home like the other guys said.

I like your idea that you want to stay off Interstates, I know I wish I would have been able to however sometimes you just have to cover loads of ground & the slabs are the way to do it. We did 9K+ in 29 days mind some days were 100-200 because we were site seeing some were 500+ to cover ground. Wish we would have had more time.

Here's another link for you as well.

http://www.goldwingowners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3540

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Depends on how you go about it, there's countless options. Week long, two week, longer? Motels get expensive after a time and tenting is it's own world depending on weather. Tent trailers are a good best of both. How many miles do you want to cover in a day and what's the main attraction to the trip? If it's sight seeing, set our daily mileage goals low or you won't se what you hoped to. We've done some fair long distances over the years but usually make sure the miles don't tax rider or passenger too much. Especially for herself, that can get ugly fast. Above all be flexible, the road has a mind of it's own.

·
Premium Member
647 Posts
Having ridden coast to coast and didn't worry so much about how far in a day, but how much I got to see in a day. There are places you will travel through that you just put a book on tape in the player and move on. Like previously stated if weather gets severe get off the road, normal rain just be careful, slow down a bit. Truckers like you and will keep you posted of hazards up coming and good places to eat. We prefer a nice motel, with a pool and preferably a good steak house near by. Just Go and Enjoy.

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
Hi Cory, The road will take care of itself so long as you stop now and then for the little women to powder. If the sky ahead looks dark and ugly get off the road. Do you know how old the tires are? Be darned sure they are up to the task. I run E3s on my 04/18. How old is the battery? I would stop at medium quality motels, never cheapo with your wife. It sometimes helps to book online as opposed to just showing up.

My concern with your route is Fla - Mass takes you smack through the biggest traffic messes in the Eastern US. I don't know if you can ride around all that but I would try. Im pretty sensitive about city traffic any more and for sure riding through Pa, NY etc isn't a vacation ride for me, it would be to much work.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the great posts! Lots of reading and lots of ideas. This trip would be next year so very early planning now to see if its even feasible. It would be a lot of vacation time off from my work and my wifes work so that makes it not an option this year.

Billcarr - Tires would be new before the trip so not a concern. Battery is new as of one month ago. I have driving the Fla - Mass route many times in the cage on the highway. This is the main reason I am looking for off highway roads. Mainly up through Atlanta, NC/TN, W. VA, PA, upstate NY then over to Boston area. Should offer some good scenery along the way and make it a worth while trip. If my wife really hates the trip, I could fly her back from Boston or take the auto train from DC to Orlando. Many options to think about.

We are still young, I am 34 and she is 33 so we are up to the task of the trip, its just working out the logistics of it all. I love cooler rack idea Fossil, Thanks I will have to look into that. I like that better than a trailer.

I would personally camp the entire trip, however the wife would need some hard convincing to do that. Might have to go on some local camping trips to get her used to it first.

I bought this bike to tour so need to put it to good use. The next option after this is an RV, but that is a ways off...

·
Super Moderator
28,436 Posts
cory,

These are the items I used for my setup for the rack. Had no issues & everything fit perfectly.

Hitch:
http://wingstuff.com/pgroup_detail/294_trailer_hitches_racks/3362_gl1500_goldwing_trailer_hitch_by_show_chrome/?goto=/pgroup_list/gl1500/294_goldwing_trailer_hitches_racks/des/?page=1

Rack:
http://wingstuff.com/pgroup_detail/294_trailer_hitches_racks/20314_kuryakyn_universal_mounting_trailer_hitch_rack/?goto=/pgroup_list/gl1500/294_goldwing_trailer_hitches_racks/des/?page=1

Bag:
http://wingstuff.com/pgroup_detail/396_t_bags/3904_t_bag_driver_backrest_style_luggage_bag/?goto=/pgroup_list/gl1500/396_t_bags/mfg/

If you are purchasing these or other items from Wingstuff join their VIP group. You will save more than the membership costs you believe me.

Also here is a site for you to check out the side roads you would like to travel.

http://www.motorcycleroads.us/index.html

Get planning it's never too early & that way you can change your plan as the ideas start to come to you. I know I started planning about 1 1/2 years before we went & the next thing I knew it was Day 29 & we were coming home.:(

Good Luck

1 - 11 of 11 Posts