Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here in the N.W. corner on of my favorite rides is Hwy 9 a very twist 2 lane road. However in the last week it seems to have taken a turn for the worse.
On Tuesday I was coming back from a lunch ride with some of the geezer gang got just North of Hwy 542 and found Hwy 9 closed because of a wreck, A South bound semi tried to take one of the turns to fast and went over on it's right side. Drive was unhurt and was taken to jail DWI:mad:.
Then yesterday Thursday 4 of us geezers were out on another lunch ride heading south this time just north of our turn onto HWY 543W another South bound Semi over on it's side in a curve.
On the way home we were headed west on Hwy 542/9 and got stopped for another accident, when they let us through the area there was a bike on it's side ( learned later that a 65 year old rider ran into the rear end of a truck.(Killed:( )
What we've noticed is that a lot of Trucks crossing the border at Sumas are now start to run south on Hwy 9, by passing Bellingham and the truck scales/check point on I-5.
HWY 9 is really not a good road as far safety goes for big trucks, especially at the speeds these guys are driving.:mad:

·
Administrator
28,996 Posts
Sorry to hear that Ron, it's ashame when that happens. Several issues to blame for that same type of thing here in PA.

1) Loads of traffic has truckers looking for alterante routes
2) Truckers living by their GPS's see what they think is a shortcut
3) Fast paced society has them getting as much ground covered in 8hrs now since they have to have 8 hrs off.
4) Why does the whole world have to get there quick? Including an Ole Fossil at times.

It's sad.

·
Premium Member
7,122 Posts
Meeting an 18 Wheeler on the Dragon is never fun. They are usually new drivers that don't know what they getting into when they see it on a map.

Attachments

1 - 3 of 3 Posts