Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a problem trying to figure out why low beam is out..
1. checked fuse first thing..OK..even replaced it but no good.

2. High beam works ok..turn signal lights work ok..horn ok..emerg flashers ok..tail lights ok..

When I first noticed the lo beam outage, I noticed that the fog lights were out also..After checking the high beam, the fog lights came back on..Are the fog lights and lo beam on the same circuit?

I have noticed that the battery seemed low when starting the engine this morning..Up till now battery has been good..(33,000 miles with a year and half of usage on OEM battery on my new 2008 GW)

Last possibility: outage of BOTH lo beam bulbs at the same time??
Seems pretty remote to me but who knows? Don't want to tear into that possibility until exhausting all other avenues..

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciatted..

TIA :confused:

·
Super Moderator
9,851 Posts
You did not say, but did you check the bulb itself?? Don't know if the lows and fogs are on the same circut, but I know the highs and fogs are not on together.

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You did not say, but did you check the bulb itself?? Don't know if the lows and fogs are on the same circut, but I know the highs and fogs are not on together.
Am trying to avoid tearing into the low beam assembly until as a last resort..Still think that both lo beam bulbs going out at the same time is fishy..My thinking is that it is somehow associated with the circuitry..Just trying to find out how to troubleshoot it..I don't have a maintenance manual..Guess I gotta think hard about getting one..Hate to take in to the dealer..last problem I had the bike was laid up for a month..
You're right on the fogs and highs..the highs are working..and the fogs are intermittent..
Thx for response..

·
Registered
793 Posts
What year is it and how much water has the headlight switch seen? My low beams went out on my last trip and I'm leaning toward a headlight switch, but failure of both bulbs would not be out of the question. My 1500 seems to go through more than I care for.

·
Premium Member
23,773 Posts
I have the 08 service manual but I have yet to delve into it. Necessity has not prompted me yet. Do your fog lights have a seperate on/off switch ?

·
Premium Member
17,146 Posts
If it was a 1500 I'd say check the Lo beam relay (relay8) don't know if the 1500 and 1800 have the same sort of wiring.
From the Northwest Corner
Ron

·
Super Moderator
9,851 Posts

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
It is possible that you had 1 low beam out and didn't notice it, now the other one went out so you noticed them both out, Replacement of the low beam is easy. Another thing you might try is spraying contact cleaner into your started switch, when it is pressed to start the bike the low beams go off, if it is stuck inside the switch the low beams might not come back on

·
Premium Member
23,773 Posts
It is possible that you had 1 low beam out and didn't notice it, now the other one went out so you noticed them both out, Replacement of the low beam is easy. Another thing you might try is spraying contact cleaner into your started switch, when it is pressed to start the bike the low beams go off, if it is stuck inside the switch the low beams might not come back on
Joe. Your advice speaks volumes, but your bike's picture speaks the whole page! Could you adjust the size down so I can fit it all on my 36 in. monitor screen ?

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have the 08 service manual but I have yet to delve into it. Necessity has not prompted me yet. Do your fog lights have a seperate on/off switch ?
Yes. it does..And my GW is a 2008 with ABS..

Have just over 33,000 miles. Not much rain exposure in the last 3 months here in Las Vegas. Did go through many rainstorms when down in Florida last June/July but didn't have any problem with lights then..

If I remember correctly, both lights were on the previous morning when I started it in the garage..I guess it is possible that they both went at the same time but coupled with the fog lights being out at the same time seemed odd..Then when the fog lights came back on without low beams, I really started to scratch my head..

One last thing..I did look in through the left compartment to see if I could get to the headlight assembly but for the life of me I couldn't see it..The heater lever was blocking any view/access to the area..
Did not check from the right side as by that time I was really feeling down about not being able to fix it..

So I took the bike in this pm for a valve check and the lo beam problem..I'll post when it comes out tomorrow (hopefully) pm..

Thanks to all who answered my plea for help..I really needed that..

:):)

·
Premium Member
23,773 Posts
Yes. it does..And my GW is a 2008 with ABS..

Have just over 33,000 miles. Not much rain exposure in the last 3 months here in Las Vegas. Did go through many rainstorms when down in Florida last June/July but didn't have any problem with lights then..

If I remember correctly, both lights were on the previous morning when I started it in the garage..I guess it is possible that they both went at the same time but coupled with the fog lights being out at the same time seemed odd..Then when the fog lights came back on without low beams, I really started to scratch my head..

One last thing..I did look in through the left compartment to see if I could get to the headlight assembly but for the life of me I couldn't see it..The heater lever was blocking any view/access to the area..
Did not check from the right side as by that time I was really feeling down about not being able to fix it..

So I took the bike in this pm for a valve check and the lo beam problem..I'll post when it comes out tomorrow (hopefully) pm..

Thanks to all who answered my plea for help..I really needed that..

:):)
We answered your questions with questions. Didn't hurt but didn't help in time. A definitive mechanics answer to the low beam mystery will be one for the rest of us no doubt someday.

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
OK..Got the bike back yesterday pm..Mech says that the fog light switch had a meltdown and that a new switch should solve it..New one is on order under warranty..

He checked the bulbs and said they were ok. so the problem has to be in the wiring somewhere.

Still have no lo beams so when the new switch is installed (4-6 working days), I'll update again whether problem is solved or not..

·
Registered
102 Posts
Low Beams

Believe it or not, when one low beam burns out the other one goes too.:confused: Ask me how I know... Same thing happened on my '01, couldn't believe it but sure enough. Reaching in next to the forks to undo the clip was a little tight but I got it done. :)Then I went out bought four bulbs and carry the two extras with me. And remember the little black piece on the end of the bulb does come off. I thought it was part of the bulb till I pulled a little harder...(sigh...):D

·
Registered
263 Posts
"After checking the high beam, the fog lights came back on..Are the fog lights and lo beam on the same circuit?"

If you are saying in the above quote that your fog lights come on with your high beams - then your fog lights are not functioning properly. The fog lights are on with the low beams but are suppose to go out with the high beams.

If on the other hand you are not saying what I just described above - then ignore what I said and have a great day!

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
"After checking the high beam, the fog lights came back on..Are the fog lights and lo beam on the same circuit?"

If you are saying in the above quote that your fog lights come on with your high beams - then your fog lights are not functioning properly. The fog lights are on with the low beams but are suppose to go out with the high beams.

What I meant was that the fog lights came on again after turning off the high beam..Sorry for misunderstanding and thanks for help..

·
Premium Member
23,773 Posts
OK..Got the bike back yesterday pm..Mech says that the fog light switch had a meltdown and that a new switch should solve it..New one is on order under warranty..

He checked the bulbs and said they were ok. so the problem has to be in the wiring somewhere.

Still have no lo beams so when the new switch is installed (4-6 working days), I'll update again whether problem is solved or not..
Meltdown ! It will be great if the problem is all related to a defective switch. Did they disconnect the switch form the lighting circuit ? Intuitively , one might think that if the switch was disconnected from the circuit system the low beams should work. I'm optimistically pessimistic that the switch alone will solve this.

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Meltdown ! It will be great if the problem is all related to a defective switch. Did they disconnect the switch form the lighting circuit ? Intuitively , one might think that if the switch was disconnected from the circuit system the low beams should work. I'm optimistically pessimistic that the switch alone will solve this.
I had reservations about the analysis but I figured if it's under warranty I'd let him do his thing..If it doesn't pan out then I'll get a little bit more inquisitive about the problem and lean a little more heavily on him until I'm satisfied..Don't know much about the GW as I'm still learning about it and I'm not a wrench so I'm more or less at any tech's mercy until I'm better informed..

But, yeah, I'm with you on what he said didn't quite jive.. Sounds like I'm wussing out and I guess I am for now to see if he works it out..Oh, he did say that he did look at the switch but nothing said about disconnecting it from the circuit and, dumb me, I didn't think to ask about that..
We'll see when the switch comes in..At least, I've got the bike and am riding it while using my high beams for visibility..Trivia: I didn't realize the up/down adjustment moves the entire headlight assembly. I was worried that the highs would bother opposing traffic but no worries now that I can lower the beam..

·
Premium Member
408 Posts
It could be the fog light switch, it could be the light switch on the handle bar. From what I could see from a diagram, the fog lights are connected with the low beam switch. I did see something about bypassing that system with another relay so the fogs would work with high or low lights and not affect the light switch. It seems to me they sell a kit for this problem. I think I will look into this before this happens to me.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts