Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Voyager trike kit on my 1989 GL1500. One of things I like about the trike kit is that locking up the brakes is a non-event since the bike continues straight - or wherever I'm steering. This has come in real handy riding in the rain.

On the way home today, I was turning off the main road on to a 4 lane boulevard with a raised median. There is an entrance to a shopping center on my right. An over-sized SUV with a young lady jabbering away on a cell phone turned left into the shopping center right in front of me. Had I been in the right-hand lane she would have t-boned me. In the left lane, I was making plans to t-bone her. I was able to stop before making contact with her, my horn blaring and my tires smelling like burned rubber. She never saw me or looked my way and continued into the shopping center as if nothing happened.

I was momentarily pissed, but more thankful and happy to have been on my trike rather than 2 wheels. This kind of thing doesn't happen much as my trike is almost 10 feet long and 5 feet wide and presents a large profile to oncoming cars. But admittedly, I'm no match for a girl on a cell phone in a SUV that's way too big for her to maneuver.

Kudos to Voyager for making panic stops near routine.

·
Premium Member
24,120 Posts
It's only going to get worse on the information highway. I was on 64 heading into Norfolk this Sunday. It felt just like driving my Capitol Beltway. But nothing raises my alert level like riding in town. The one I don't see is the one that will get me. The ones I see I can anticipate. Saved for another ride!

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's only going to get worse on the information highway. I was on 64 heading into Norfolk this Sunday. It felt just like driving my Capitol Beltway. But nothing raises my alert level like riding in town. The one I don't see is the one that will get me. The ones I see I can anticipate. Saved for another ride!
That is precisely my philosophy... "The one I don't see is the one that will get me". That's why I try to be aware of everything - dogs, kids, cars, bikes, pedestrians. I figure if I see it, my brain has at least a chance of avoiding a more serious accident.

I'm like you... as bad as it is, I feel safer on I64 than I do in-town roads. I64 southside around Norfolk is a pain at rush hour and can feel like an in-town road.

When will they completely ban cell phone while driving usage except by police? I heard of a locality that passed an ordinance banning it in their city limits. Enough towns do that and drivers will wonder about every town.

·
Administrator
29,002 Posts
Glad you didn't have an issue. You bring up an intersting point.

When will they completely ban cell phone while driving usage except by police? I heard of a locality that passed an ordinance banning it in their city limits. Enough towns do that and drivers will wonder about every town.
And now people are buying bluetooth communications so they can talk on their cell phone while riding their motorcycle. Hmmmmmm?

:confused::confused:

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
Cell Phone Usage

The problem that I have with cell phones and police is this: How are they safer drivers while on their cell phones than Joe Average? Do they have special training that is not available to you or me? Why do they have radios in their cars if they are going to use cell phones? Is their cell phone usage limited to "official police business"? How do their superiors keep track of this? I am not trying to dis the law enforcement community. I have a great deal of respect for them. I just want to know how what they do with cell phones is justified.

·
Premium Member
7,120 Posts
Alabama puts the No Texting Law in today!!! So Watch out.....

·
Premium Member
7,509 Posts
Alabama puts the No Texting Law in today!!! So Watch out.....
Have a brother in-law who was driving and texting his wife whom he was also having a fight with. Never saw the construction zone and hole in the road larger than his truck. Drove into this mega hole, totaled his truck and broke his leg. As for the wife, he doesn't text her anymore; she's past history.

·
Premium Member
24,643 Posts
Not sure about the entire country, but Alberta and BC have a 'distrcted driving' law in effect now that makes it illegal to use a hand set while driving/riding. Hands free devices are still ok. Our law can also be extended to cover things such as eating and other consumables or activities depending on the opinion of the police officer.
Any of us that are pilots know that in flight communication is a necessity, and we are constantly in contact with ATC and other a/c. But we wear headsets and have mic actuators on our control columns. However, in a busy sector or in the IFR environment it can be very distracting with the excess workloads and especially in single pilot ops. In dual pilot ops, one flys and the 'second' often does the radios and other duties. And it still can get very busy and complicated.
Yes it's the one you don't see that gets you, be it a vehicle or a critter...ask me how I know;)

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Glad you didn't have an issue. You bring up an intersting point.

And now people are buying bluetooth communications so they can talk on their cell phone while riding their motorcycle. Hmmmmmm?

:confused::confused:
I've seen riders with their thinline phones shoved into their ear under the helmet.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The problem that I have with cell phones and police is this: How are they safer drivers while on their cell phones than Joe Average? Do they have special training that is not available to you or me? Why do they have radios in their cars if they are going to use cell phones? Is their cell phone usage limited to "official police business"? How do their superiors keep track of this? I am not trying to dis the law enforcement community. I have a great deal of respect for them. I just want to know how what they do with cell phones is justified.
For public safety officials, the assumption is that their use of a cell phone is for emergency purposes.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Not sure about the entire country, but Alberta and BC have a 'distrcted driving' law in effect now that makes it illegal to use a hand set while driving/riding. Hands free devices are still ok. Our law can also be extended to cover things such as eating and other consumables or activities depending on the opinion of the police officer.
Any of us that are pilots know that in flight communication is a necessity, and we are constantly in contact with ATC and other a/c. But we wear headsets and have mic actuators on our control columns. However, in a busy sector or in the IFR environment it can be very distracting with the excess workloads and especially in single pilot ops. In dual pilot ops, one flys and the 'second' often does the radios and other duties. And it still can get very busy and complicated.
Yes it's the one you don't see that gets you, be it a vehicle or a critter...ask me how I know;)
You know, my gut tells me that hands-free isn't as bad as hands-on devices, though ordinances may not draw a distinction between the two. I see hands-free devices much like talking to a passenger while driving but without the obvious "I have to look at you while speaking" courtesy folks seem to extend.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.